Jalama perch report

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Surf Reports' started by jmoore, January 10, 2015.

1. jmoore

jmoore Well-Known Member

Broke in the 2015 lic. at Jalama yesterday on the surf perch. The fishing wasn't red hot but we did manage to catch a nice mess for dinner. Weather was great no wind and the water conditions were clear and warm for this time of year prob still 60 deg. I was able to fish in shorts and a tshirt. Waves were building but it didn't matter to the perch. Caught a couple dozen or so perch mostly barred with a few shiners and a calico perch. All caught on carolina rigged grubs. Kept a couple of the larger fish and a couple that were hooked deep for dinner. The guys rock fishing from shore have been doing very well on the cabezon so might have to give it a shot next time. Had dinner plans so I skipped the J-burger this time. Beautiful winer day of perching:)

Attached Files:

2. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

Nice job, those are some whoppers

3. Joey805

Administrator

Dang! Nice slabs!

4. Surfdog

Surfdog Well-Known Member

jalama

Have any raccoon problems at nite, that area is infested with them. They come down that river bed at nite and raid the camp sites, things can get very interesting there while your sleeping and your goods are be raided.

5. hdz805

hdz805 Well-Known Member

Stayed at el capitan yesterday and couldn't get any perch??? We had our backs the food at night and the raccoons were sure enough there. Hahaha brought a sling shot and chased them out

6. eDUBz

eDUBz Well-Known Member

Nice fat perch. We love taking our Toy hauler up there. Will be there at the end of June.:)

7. jmoore

jmoore Well-Known Member

Don't get me going on the raccoons Tim. Me and the masked bandits don't have a very good relationship:mad: Had a mother raccoon make the bridge on my Skipjack a nursery a couple years back in the winter when the boat was in storage. If I hadn't been able to do all the repair work myself it would have been thousands of dollars to fix. It still set me back a couple hundred bucks. Called my insurance and low and behold animal damage is not covered. It would have cost me less if it were some tweeker scumbag like the one that hit Randy "Knot Home's" boat. Now I have to take extensive efforts to make sure they don't get into the boat.:( And all of this happens here in town at my dads house where the boat is stored. The raccoons even tore thru the neighbors roof shingles and into the attic. I don't brake for raccoons! We were only out for the day fishing so no probs with the critters.

8. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

9. SnickSnack72

SnickSnack72 Well-Known Member

Nice Slabbies! on the old school rig too!

10. MrPukaShell

MrPukaShell Well-Known Member

Very nice, thanks for taking the time to share

11. catchofthemonth

Nice slabs.. fished the blowhole the day before this in pretty big swell but still managed a short cab and a grassy. My buddy was fishing one of those P-Line double squid rigs and caught three perch with it ironically...the lures were almost the size of the perch LOL. Probably going to go back again later this week if the swell comes down.

12. bluejay

bluejay Member

Hi jmoore,

I'm heading out to Jalama for the first time in May. I'm curious how rockfishing is done from shore...standard dropper loop? Is there a special way it's done out there? Thanks.

John

13. jmoore

jmoore Well-Known Member

Nothing special dropper loops baited with squid. I use torpedo style weights to minimize hang ups. Most of the guys like to rockfish at low tides. The cabezon fishing has been very good the last couple years. The best areas are down from the park past Tarantula's point or above the park towards VAFB. Hope you get em and don't forget to get a burger at the grill their great.

14. bluejay

bluejay Member

thanks! much appreciated.