Kayaking in LaJolla & Coronado

Discussion in 'Kayak Central' started by YakSailor, July 21, 2005.

1. YakSailor

YakSailor Well-Known Member

Where: La Jolla and Tidelands Park in San Diego Bay

When: Tuesday and Wednesday am, 7/19 & 7/20/05

Water Conditions:First hitide ( 3 ft), clear water, 69°F (La Jolla)to 71°F(Tidelands Park in San Diego Bay)

Air Conditions: Partly cloudy, wind out of the West at about 10 mph, about 78°F

Craft: Hobie Mirage Tandem

Setup: Gulp! 4" Minnow Worm, 3"Motor Oil Grub.

Catch:Sculpin, various kelp and spotted bass. All released.

My son and I finally had the opportunity to launch from LaJolla shores and make the 1-mile trek to the boundary of the marine reserve to fish in the kelp beds. The launch was pretty good, but we still needed wetsuits. The dolphins surrounded us as we made our way to the green bouy. The sea dogs were constantly watching us and couldn't be scared off. Regardless, we caught some sculpin and bass on lures. My son hooked on to something too big to be brought to the surface and snapped the line. I know there are some huge yellow tail and WSB out there, butI just stayed with our12-lb test. I didn't feel safe landing something too big out there. The landing was a little dicey, but we managed to keep the keel down. I noticed a few kayakers capsizing on the return.

The next day we launched at Tidelands park in the SD bay to fish for Spotties. The eel grass was pretty thick, but makes good cover for the bass. The Coronado bridge was fun to paddle around, too. We caught a couple of decent bass then headed out to Balboa Park.

Here's a shot of the sculpin:[​IMG]

Another shot - we didn't touch this guy. I managed to de-hook him through the net.

[​IMG]

Some kind of kelp bass:

[​IMG]

Spotted bay bass:

[​IMG]

Calico pic taken with my Optio underwater camera. This was in the reserve area, where there's tons of fish, of course:

[​IMG]

Girabaldi pic. You can just about touch them:

[​IMG]

2. ODH33

nice report!

3. obm7

obm7 Well-Known Member

Nice job, I love the color on that Garibaldi

4. NoobFisher

NoobFisher Well-Known Member

Nice. Underwater camera, thats cool. So you do some diving? Any spearfishing perhaps. Anyways looks like you had a great day. If you have a single yak I'd be glad to accompany you out of lj or you and your son. Maybe go after those yellowtail. If you havent seen the site yet take a look at the highlights for the months here. I think the biggest fish is a wsb pushin 40 pounds if I remeber correctly.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/

5. pEsCaDoR

pEsCaDoR Well-Known Member

good bunch of guys at bwe. ive competed against many of them in tournaments and there are some HOT kayak sticks from that group.

6. Anotherbite

Anotherbite Well-Known Member

Great report,Thanks!!Sounds like an awesome time! Very cool pics!

7. Joey805

Administrator

Wow! Sweet pics! That camera is awesome!

Thanks for the report!

8. YakSailor

Hey NoobFisher,

Yep, we were just snorkeling at the La Jolla Cove to get those underwater pics. I'm back in Camarillo now, but will contact you the next time I head down that way. The Bigwater's Edge site covers the San Diego area well. If you're located up here, maybe we could organize a local yak outing with others here...BlackLion? Fishead? ConejoMan?

-YakSailor

9. BlackLion

BlackLion Well-Known Member

YakSailor,

Nice report and pictures! Sounds like you and your son had a great time down there. A yak trip sound like a great idea.

BlackLion

10. thom

thom Active Member

How did you put a sail on your kayak? Is there a sail kit?

11. YakSailor

BlackLion,

I'll check to see what I've got going on for the next few weekends and then contact you, FishHead and Kojak, if he is in the area. I'd like to try a place with an easy launch that won't require wetsuits-maybe Rincon or Refugio when the waves are small.

Thom,

The Hobie Mirage has a sail kit, but is designed to work with only one person in the yak. The mast mounts in the scupper hole where the first person would sit. I have modified mine with a cross beam to accept the sail with two people. I also had to make a rudder extension because the stock rudder won't work with two people in the yak. It took a lot of experimentation.The MIrage lends itself to sail installation because of the vertical keel-flippers used for propulsion.

-John