Kern river trout

Discussion in 'West Coast - Freshwater Reports' started by jmoore, May 8, 2016.

1. jmoore

jmoore Well-Known Member

Took an annual camping trip to the upper Kern river with a group of friends last week. The weather was a little cooler than most years but we managed to dodge all the severe thunderstorms and had a great time. River levels were about average for this time of year and much better than last year. Fishing was fun for the trout and the Kern river hatchery has been planting some trophy size trout up to 6 pounds. While I didn't get any that large I did catch four 2 lb plus fish. Lots of fun on the light gear especially when they get into the current. Im not a purist so I caught all my fish on salmon eggs and a small split shot for weight. Cast up stream and follow it down and repeat.
    Lots of casts for each fish but keeps you busy and the setting is quite pleasant!

Had a great time fishing, Barbecuing, sitting around the fire and having a few cold ones. Finished the week with 54 fish all released. I did notice that I caught at least two fish twice. One had a scar on it that made it identifiable and the other had one of my hooks in its jaw from a break off. I did manage to get my hook back and release the fish. Heres a few pics see if you can figure out what the sign says form the Kernville sportsman's bar. Not sure if it helps to have a few before you try or not.;)

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

Sierra to Ventura likes this.
  2. MikeeDaGuy

MikeeDaGuy Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed John. . . Beautiful pics. . . . I have never fished that river and its much closer to me than you. . . not even going to touch the bar sign. . . . lol

Thanks for sharing!

3. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

B E A utifle pics. It has been 15 years since I have hit that area. Still look great.

4. dudewarner

dudewarner Well-Known Member

Right on great to get out and do some camping and fishing and :beerbang:- those look like some nice trout, thanks for sharing.

5. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator

54 fish, I'd say you guys had a heck of a trip. Love fishing trout on the ultralight gear. Salmon eggs and a split shot can be deadly.

Headed to the sierras soon to do the same thing. Thanks for the report. :cool2:

6. ODOGFISH

ODOGFISH Well-Known Member

Moved to BAKO in 2016 and still to catch any damn trout and i'm just a few miles from the mouth of the KERN CYN, nice catching, beware that river its a killer