LA Midnight Lump trips 2/17 - 2/18 ,2005

Discussion in 'Gulf Coast - Saltwater Off-Shore Boat Reports' started by 2NAB8R, March 25, 2005.

1. 2NAB8R

2NAB8R Well-Known Member

Venice, Louisiana February 17-18 2005 aboard Capt. Jeff Thierry's DORADO.......

Our crew of six met Capt. Thierry and deckhand Adam on Sunday night to discuss the bite. Were informed that at the moment it was pretty much hit and miss.

We headed out of <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Tiger</st1:placeName> <st1:place w:st="on">Pass</st1:place></st1:place> on Monday morning through very foggy conditions, arriving at the Lump we found the weather to be quite pleasant, clear and warm, with only 2-3 foot seas, with nice, gentle swells.

The King Mackerel gave our crew, (Sean, James, Edwin, Anthony, Les and myself) some problems early on, and we worked on thinning them out by using wire leaders, but the Blackfin were coming into the slick, (and our cooler) sporadically. After changing locations we were able to get a more consistent Tuna bite the rest of the day with 21 good sized Blackfin, and several Yellowfin, the largest of which looked to be around 75-85 lbs. Mighty good eatin’ that night back at the cabin.

Day two greeted us with very foggy conditions once again, this time all the way out to the lump. Visibility was only about 50-75 yards. The bite however, was much more consistent from the very start as we immediately began pulling large Blackfin, and Yellowfin out of the water. The last two Yellowfin being the most memorable as Anthony had hooked himself up with the biggest of the day turning out to weigh in at 155 lbs. We were all quite impressed as he fought, and landed this fish in just over an hour with a broken left hand!!

The last Yellowfin of the day was brought in by yours truly with a jig, on light tackle, (one of Capt. Jeff’s new Shimano Tekota’s). We were all surprised to see that it was a good sized Yellowfin when I finally coaxed it into gaff range. I have to give credit to James’ skills with the jigging rod however, as he was the one to actually hook the fish. Thanks again James, now I owe you two!

Having Capt. Jeff chide me about "holding up the show" had an oddly motivating factor as well, (go figure).

It only took us about 3 hours to have both coolers full, (actually overflowing), and we headed in early.

Pics from this trip can be viewed on DORADO's website:

http://www.rodnreel.com/dauphin/index.asp

Once again, Captain Thierry and the crew of the DORADO have outdone themselves with their usual top notch professionalism and class. Not to mention being just plain FUN TO FISH WITH! Many thanks to Jeff, Adam, and Heather for your friendship and kindness. I’ll be seeing you again this summer for sure for another 24 hour Tuna run.

Until then… God’s Speed!
    Edited by: 2NAB8R

2. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

thanks for the report!

3. Joey805

Administrator

Great report, thanks for posting it. :)

4. 2NAB8R

2NAB8R Well-Known Member

Thanks guys,

I know it's a month old, but I had noticed that there hadn't been any posts at all here for more than 6 months, and thought... NO WAY!!. My next trip planned isour annual 24 hour trip out of Dauphin Island, tentatively scheduled for early August.

If there aren't any posts here 'till then, (god forbid)....reports and pics.

5. Sinker

Hey 2NAB8R were you the one looking for an Avatar???
    [​IMG]

Unfortunatley small it looks like this
    [​IMG]

6. 2NAB8R

2NAB8R Well-Known Member

I like it!! I'm gonna save it anyway....