Lafayette Reservoir

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by stubbs, Apr 29, 2012.

1. stubbs

stubbs Well-Known Member

Finally had some time to do some fishing. Been out 1 other time in the last few months for dungies so figured with the weather warming up it was time to find some bass. I've been wanting to try a small lake up here in Lafayette so figured why not today. Woke up on the late side so loaded my yak and headed off.

Its a fairly small lake and after $14 and the quagga check I was launching from a dock. They have rental boats but only allow car-tops to launch.

Heading out
    [​IMG]

The shoreline is practically covered in Tules
    [​IMG]

There is also a ton of underwater vegetation so I basically decided to either flip the tules with a RI Sweet Beaver and switch off with a senko. I recently picked up a new combo a New Revo Premier and one of there new Villain series rods. I must say its pretty light and sweet though I'm not too sold on the handle yet. I was tossing the beaver and didnt really feel a bite but saw my line taking off. Reeled down and pop, line breaks.....And to add insult to injury, I see a bass jump a couple times with my beaver hanging out of its mouth...

Instead of tying on a new beaver I just switched to my other rod with a senko. I was working the tules again and literally feel like I'm snagged. I start pulling and I realize that its pulling back. Set the hook and game on. Fish just takes off and my drag starts to scream. I'm only fishing 6 lb test so right about now I'm starting to regret not tying a bait on my other rod. After a few good runs I realize the fish is staying down...hmm this isn't a bass so I'm thinking either a foul hooked carp or a catfish. A few minutes later I see the tail and yup its a cat. After getting wrapped and unwrapped a few times I get him to the boat.

[​IMG]

Turns out the thing was about 6 lbs

[​IMG]

It was the wrong species but I'll take the fight any day. I kept persistent at working the senko and a short time later I feel the bite and fish on. Again this fish buries itself in the weeds and is staying down. I'm thinking its another cat when I see color....

[​IMG]

The bass probably was about 3 1/2 as I didnt get a weight. Continued working the section of bank where i get two more fish on back to back casts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the weather is getting hot and I figure I've had enough fun for 1 day. Gotta love the paddle back in seeing all the "scenery" in paddle boats....sorry no pics of that

All fish came on a 5" senko on a couple different colors rigged weightless. I had tried a weighted senko and didn't get hit. Didn't get to break in the new combo on a fish as all fish came on my trusty Crucial/Sahara on 6 lb test.

2. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Well-Known Member

Nice job man! Seems like a fun day

3. Carnivore

Very nice job. Glad you got out to enjoy the day.

4. xbacksideslider

xbacksideslider Well-Known Member

So you gotta carry any boat you launch? No ramp?

Nice pics, good report.

5. saba

saba Well-Known Member

Great pics. Thanks for the report.

6. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

Jeffy!!
    Diggin your reports from your new digs man!
    Get out and fish more bro!

Thanks for reminding me to fish the Senko more often...

7. Seabass_Seeker

Seabass_Seeker Well-Known Member

Good stuff, senkos and vegetation were meant for each other.

8. MrPukaShell

MrPukaShell Well-Known Member

9. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

jeff great report brada and as always loved the pic's. Still waiting for my sweatshirt! LOL