Legally required boating equipment

Discussion in 'West Coast' started by HarborMast93001, November 1, 2007.

1. HarborMast93001

HarborMast93001 Active Member

As suggested by some members of this forum, the Harbor Patrol Officers have been making frequent patrols around the breakwater to help enforce existing laws. We have found that many of the vessels are not carrying the minimum legal required equipment. This includes registration for all motorized vessels and a fishing license.

To assist you in getting the proper equipment for your particular vessel, here are the equipment requirements as found in the ABC's of Boating Law as published by the California Department of Boating and Waterways. Please let me know if you have any questions.

R E Q U I R E D EQ U I P M E N T
    Recreational vessels are required to carry specified safety equipment which
    may vary according to type of propulsion, type of construction, area and time
    of use, and number of people aboard. Unless otherwise noted, all required
    equipment must be Coast Guard approved and must be kept in good,
    serviceable condition, be readily accessible, and be of the proper type and/or
    size.

MOTORBOATS LESS THAN 16 FEET IN LENGTH
    Personal Flotation Device: One Type I, II, III, or V Coast Guard-approved
    personal flotation device must be carried for each person on board. They must
    be readily accessible and of an appropriate size for the intended wearer.
    Fire Extinguisher: One Type B-I Coast Guard-approved fire extinguisher must
    be carried. Extinguishers are not required for outboard motorboats less than 26
    feet in length and of open construction.
    Ventilation System: See page 36.
    Sound Signaling Devices: A vessel of less than 39 feet 4 inches (12 meters)
    must be able to provide a means of making an efficient sound signal but is not
    required to carry a whistle or bell.
    Visual Distress Signals (Coastal Waters Only): Boats are only required between sunset and sunrise to carry aboard devices that are suitable for night use.
    Navigation Lights: Navigation lights must be kept in serviceable condition and
    displayed between sunset and sunrise and at times of restricted visibility.

16 FEET TO LESS THAN 26 FEET
    Personal Flotation Devices: One Type I, II, III, or V Coast Guard-approved
    wearable personal flotation device must be carried for each person aboard.
    They must be readily accessible and of an appropriate size for the intended
    wearer. In addition, the vessel must carry an approved Type IV throwable
    device which should be immediately available.
    Fire Extinguisher: One Type B-I Coast Guard-approved fire extinguisher must
    be carried. Extinguishers are not required for outboard motorboats less than 26
    feet in length and of open construction.
    Backfire Flame Arrestor: A Coast Guard-approved backfire flame arrestor is
    required for inboard gasoline motors which are not exposed to the atmosphere
    above the level of the gunwale.
    Ventilation System: See page 36.
    Sound Signaling Devices: A vessel of less than 39 feet 4 inches (12 meters)
    must be able to provide a means of making an efficient sound signal but is not
    required to carry a whistle or bell.
    Visual Distress Signals (Coastal Waters Only): All boats 16 feet or more in
    length must carry devices aboard at all times. Boaters must carry: EITHER a)
    devices that are suitable for day use and devices suitable for night use, OR b)
    devices that can be used for both day and night use (see page 43).
    Navigation Lights: Navigation lights must be kept in serviceable condition and
    be displayed between sunset and sunrise and at times of restricted visibility.

MANUALLY PROPELLED VESSELS
    Personal Flotation Devices: Vessels less than 16 feet in length, and all canoes
    and kayaks, regardless of length, must carry one Type I, II, III, or V Coast
    Guard-approved personal flotation device for each person on board. They
    must be readily accessible and of an appropriate size for the intended wearer.
    A vessel under oars must have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white
    light which must be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision . Distress signals must be carried at night.

RUNNING LIGHTS - INLAND AND INTERNATIONAL
    Power-Driven Vessels: A recreational powerboat under way is required to
    display a masthead light forward, red and green sidelights and a sternlight,
    A recreational powerboat under 39 feet 4 inches (12
    meters) may instead display a 360o all-round sternlight and combination red
    and green sidelights (Figure 2).

ANCHOR LIGHTS
    An anchor light is an all-round white light exhibited where it can best be seen
    and is visible for two miles.
    Power-driven vessels and sailing vessels at anchor must display anchor lights.

2. Joey805

Administrator

Thanks for posting this Scott :)

3. rsonl541

rsonl541 Well-Known Member

thanks for the post nice information

4. "KNOT HOME"

"KNOT HOME" Well-Known Member

Scott:

Please clarify then......

Is a user of 15' Kayak - Self Propelled - Required to Carry Flares Onboard???
    or are their other suitable Distress Signals??

Please clarify.

Thank You.

MANUALLY PROPELLED VESSELS
    Personal Flotation Devices: Vessels less than 16 feet in length, and all canoes
    and kayaks, regardless of length, must carry one Type I, II, III, or V Coast
    Guard-approved personal flotation device for each person on board. They
    must be readily accessible and of an appropriate size for the intended wearer.
    A vessel under oars must have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white
    light which must be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision . Distress signals must be carried at night

#4 "KNOT HOME", December 5, 2008
    Last edited: December 5, 2008
  5. marineslayer

marineslayer Well-Known Member

This includes registration for all motorized vessels and a fishing license.
    Where does it state you have to have a fishing license to be on a boat ?

6. Carnivore

From the USCG website.....

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Visual Distress Signals [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All vessels used on coastal waters, the Great Lakes, territorial seas, and those waters connected directly to them, up to a point where a body of water is less than two miles wide, must be equipped with U.S.C.G. Approved visual distress signals. Vessels owned in the United States operating on the high seas must be equipped with U.S.C.G. Approved visual distress signals. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]These vessels are not required to carry day signals but must carry night signals when operating from sunset to sunrise: [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Recreational boats less than 16 feet in length [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Boats participating in organized events such as races, regattas, or marine parades. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Open sailboats less than 26 feet in length not equipped with propulsion machinery. [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Manually propelled boats. [/FONT]
    Marineslayer these regs were put up for the people that were hooping so if you are actively "fishing" as there people were doing then they needed a license. It isn't required unless you are actively fishing or have fish onboard.

7. "KNOT HOME"

"KNOT HOME" Well-Known Member

Thanks Carni!

What would we do without you?

See you out there fishing!

8. squibblips

squibblips Well-Known Member

AND yet....while boats with bright lights are trying to navigate the harbor (parade of lights), there are always kayaks out paddleing around with no lights. It amazes me no one gets hurt during this event!

9. chum bucket

chum bucket Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up!

10. SnickSnack72

SnickSnack72 Well-Known Member

I always thought to be ticketed, you had to have the rod in your hand when the warden came up??? I have never had that problem, always get my fishing liscense for X-mas every year since I was 16

11. Carnivore

You don't but this was put up when all the problems were being ironed out at Ventura harbor and hoop netting. When you hoop net you need to have a license. But you are right, it is only if they actively catch you with a hand on a line etc.... well that and make sure you don't have a limit for the person with out a license too:D

12. mainphrame

mainphrame Well-Known Member

Be safe out there fellas, lost count how many people told me they dont have a fire extinguisher or a radio on board. Be safe buds, spending 60 bucks at walmart for the essentials is your best last chance. Please always have a radio too.

13. fishing73

fishing73 New Member