Lines

Discussion in 'Tackle 101' started by pete j, October 14, 2014.

1. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

Got some braided line from china aka ebay and thought Id put it to the test with my new scale and my digital ones. Started out at buddys house with only new 50 lb asian braid then came home to try my scales. I tested 50 lb PE braid, 20 lb spiderwire ez braid plus 30 lb stren mono from malwarts cheap but tests prove all. At friends house on digital scale the ebay braid broke at 17 lbs for a rated 50 lb. Me thinks bullpoo his scale sucks but boy was I wrong get home and start testing with my digital scales and it broke between 15 and 17 lbs on two different digital scales. So I ordered a spring scale to check drags and line testing and hopefully be alot more accurate. Well only thing it proves is mine and buddys scales are pretty close, many tests later with all scales I tried it on the other lines including the 20 lb spider ez braid and 30 lb stren mono. The spider broke at 17 lbs on all scales many times and the stren 30 lb mono was the winner at a consistant 34 lbs. So anybody contemplating trying to save alot of money and buying cheaper braid stay away from them ebay braids. Ive been using spiderwire ez braid but in 50 lb and still need to test it but Ive caught threshers with it at gaviota pier before it got washed away and never had a problem with it even when a soupfin got tangled in the braid and the 150 lb leader the 150 broke from the shark skin not the ez braid it frayed thou. As for the 30 lb stren it was just to test to see if everything else was close but Ive caught 50 lb batrays on there 12 lb so I love the stuff but prefer the braid. hope this helps anybody thats going to buy cheap braid cause you are going to lose the biggest fish you ever thought you were going to catch. OUCH. Only line that broke at the knot was the mono

Attached Files:

2. terrace

terrace Active Member

I bought some chinese made flouro #50 and am happy with that only tested on fish it is pretty stiff and makes a nice dropper . I'll stay away from the braid thanks for the info.

3. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Thanx for sharing....great info!

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you dont mind me asking what kind of knots did you use and where was the line breaking at?

5. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

Knots were double over hand and the line broke but not at the knots

6. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

Couple more pics

Believe me I wanted the line to work. The price for 300 and something yards was less then $10.00 shipped.

Attached Files: