looking into this 1988 seaswirl topaz need some advice

Discussion in 'Boat Talk' started by JeremyTA, Jul 3, 2015.

1. JeremyTA

JeremyTA Well-Known Member

my cousin and I are looking into getting a boat and there happens to be this 1988 seaswirl topaz next to the building his work just bought. any ideas if it would be worth it?, its got 82hrs and looks to be in good shape with some obvious small cosmetic repairs but nothing structural or mechanical seems to be wrong with. the owner started it up and ran through the gears(drive/reverse) and the outdrive hydraulics for tilt worked perfect. it comes with the trailer its currently on too. if anybody would be willing to check it out with us or knows if a good traveling inspector that would be awesome. here are a few pics! almost forgot its a repo yard and they are selling it for $1000 papers in hand.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JeremyTA

anybody?, just need a good prebuy inspector.

3. wils

wils Well-Known Member

82hrs. it runs. it shifts. outdrive goes up and down. the trailer is worth the $1000.

you being an auto mechanic should be able to see that the wiring will need attention. should be easy-peasy for you.

#3 wils, Jul 6, 2015 at 1:26 PM
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  4. Carnivore

Sorry, didn't see you post off in my own little world. Ya I would say with 82 hours on it that it is worth the grand. The hulls on these are solid build by Grady white back then or at least in the same factory and parent company. I would check the deck for bubbling in the fiberglass from the sun and if it isn't spongy to walk on I would jump on it. That sounded dumb...buy it.

If it is spongy it would still be worth it if you know how to fix fiberglass.

What motor and outdrive does it have? If nothing else take a pic an put it up. If it has the OMC Bravo I outdrive that might be an issue as parts are hard to get. A Bravo II or cobra would be better and a mercruser even more so.

5. JeremyTA

yeah wils i figured anything mechanical my cousin or i could easily do ourselves. i got a brother in law that does fiberglass and im a quick learner and have plenty of confidence that i could fix anything..its a curse.

Carni its an OMC V6 but im not sure about the outdrive.. ill post a picture, the deck looks solid from everything i can see without ripping the thing apart and feels nice and firm.

thank you both very much for the replies. all the info i can get helps so much!

[​IMG]

6. Carnivore

Looks like a 800 stringer. Not sure how parts are for that one. I would do some research and see if I were you but that is the only thing I can think of. Parts for the motor are rather prevalent. If nothing else for 1k, run it till it breaks then donate it if all else fails...you will still get your moneys worth in the end. Good luck.

7. JeremyTA

with a quick google search it seems like parts are available, pricey but available. going to do another good walk around and inspection on saturday and if everything looks and feels right ill probably get it. you guys rock! thanks for the time gents!

8. whiskerfish

whiskerfish Member

Jeremy,

Don't know if you picked it up. I had a different boat but same make. 1989 23' Seaswirl Cordova Aft Cabin. Boat was solid. I bought it second hand and the deck had a little soft soft spot that the seller took care off before I paid in full. Water got in at the helm thru the seat pedestal. I would turn her on and see how she run. When was the last time it was on the water? If it hasn't ran in a long time the impeller is bad so don't run it too long. Do the standard motor inspection with compression test and look at the plugs. Check the oil..both outdrive and engine. Not milky is good. Good luck.

Clark

9. JeremyTA

going tomorrow to go over the paperwork. the deck is solid as a rock and she runs perfect! oil is very clean throughout and looks great. not too sure about the last time she was on the water though. the place its currently at the guy would start it up once a month.. though i'm not too sure if that makes a difference with the impeller

10. whiskerfish

whiskerfish Member

Sounds like a good boat then. Just be sure you do a thorough tune up and replace all the basic stuff....thermostat, plugs, definitely impeller, belts, check all hoses, inspect the bellows for cracks...will let in water to bilge area, change all fluids, cap and rotor if they look bad. Just go down the list and do the more important ones first. If it has plastic thru-hull definitely check them out. And lastly worth your effort to pull the heat risers and see if they are clogged. Won't be much of an issue if it was a freshwater boat but if it's saltwater.....

11. JeremyTA

if all goes well i could be bringing her home tomorrow.. first thing we are doing is full tune up including belts, hoses, impeller, plugs wires all that jazz.. you guys are awesome for taking the time to reply!

12. Carnivore

Good luck, I hope she comes home with ya.

13. JeremyTA

she currently sits in my driveway, been a little busy the last couple weeks and couldn't update right away. we are currently buffing out the hull and double checking everything before taking her for a water run.

14. tpfishnfool

tpfishnfool Well-Known Member

OMC out drives were and are a problem. Carful

15. JeremyTA

yeah thats our absolute biggest worry, good thing my cousin and i are really mechanically inclined! :)