Modified Albright (Alberto Knot)

Discussion in 'Tackle 101' started by Yerman, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Yerman

Yerman Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I have been using this knot for a while now after I learned it at Baja Fish Gear (thanks guys). I never see people talking about, and I have never seen an illustration of it either until now. I love this knot and thought I would share it with you guys. So far, it has not failed me yet and best of all, you dont need to double your line with a bimini before you start the knot.

One quick note about the knot, make absolutely sure the mono stays straight when tightening it down, and if you want, add a drop of super glue when you are done getting it tight.

Oh, and to get the knot really tight, I like to hold the spool of mono/flouro in one hand and hold the reel in the other and pull very hard on the knot. In other words, I pull hard enough that if I wrapped the line around my hand to tighten it, I would cut my hand. Once it tightens up properly, you will know. Here is a shot of 30# Izorline Spectra and 15# P-Line Fluoro with a drop of super glue that I use on my Calcutta 300TE for plastics...For the record, I do 10 up and 10 down...Also, make sure you take care to study the third diagram to make sure you exit the knot properly. If you need to, right click on the diagram and save it to your desktop so you can open it up and zoom in on it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
    #1 Yerman, Jul 19, 2008
  2. normannutbag

normannutbag Well-Known Member

Nice looking knot,I'm always looking for a quick/easier braid to leader knot

Thanks for the info.

#2 normannutbag, Jul 19, 2008
  3. Yerman

Yerman Well-Known Member

Not many comments here... What do you guys think of it? Anybody have a better way? Anybody use this knot as well that can vouch for the knot?

I just can't imagine anthing being easier to tie. I suck at bimini twist's, so this is a great alternative for me.

4. rav3n805

rav3n805 Well-Known Member

looks good, and easy gana give it a try soon
    thanks

5. g3vo

g3vo Well-Known Member

hey i like it its simple and it works

6. divegod1

divegod1 Active Member

Its a nice knot, you can also just double up your braid and go up once then out the end and it works fine also. And a trick I use to tighten is to push the wrap down with your thumb and THEN pull like hell on mono/braid

7. Granite Goliath

Granite Goliath Well-Known Member

I use it a lot, good strength to it and easy to do.

8. mackereljoe

mackereljoe Well-Known Member

Is this knot stronger than the regular albright? Also, it looks like it the bitter end don't come out the same side as the main line, is this right? Thanks.

9. Yerman

Yerman Well-Known Member

I think there are some diehard guys that would say that this is not as strong as a normal albright knot when you tie it with a doubled line with a bimini, but if you can't tie a bimini well (like me), or you need to retie in a crunch, I think this is a nice alternative. Of course, the guys at the tackle shop say that this knot is jsut as strong though. So, is it stronger? I don't know because I can not tie a bimini well enough to do a comparison but from what I have gathered, it is a strong knot and a lot easier to tie than a bimini to albright.

As for exiting the knot, I am not really sure what you are asking but here is a diagram of what you should do....

I guess I would say that you exit the knot in the reverse way you came through the knot. So, if you come up through the bottom, you exit from the top back through the way you went in. I hope that makes sense...Take notice to see that the green and blue line are "under" the loop kind of like a figure 8 knot with a bucnh of twist above the knot...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
    #9 Yerman, Aug 2, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  10. titan05

titan05 Well-Known Member

The trick to any albright is to exit the loop the same way you started....in this case it is under the loop. Lppk at you diagram...both lines exit UNDER the Loop. If you go over the top the knot will pull

Been using this knot for years and it is a very small profile knot....I tie 6 down and 6 up.

This is also my knot for surface iron....very easy to switch out a mono topshot and put new line on after a day of Cedros Yellows. Takes a whole 20 seconds to tie a very secure connection. Make the loop out of the mono and use the spectra for your wraps.

Here is an animated version of what you are tying

How to tie an Albright Knot

Fish On

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
    #10 titan05, Aug 2, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  11. mackereljoe

mackereljoe Well-Known Member

Thank you very much. I will try this knot for spectra to short floro.

12. bajadave

bajadave Moderator

I prefer to double the braided line and wrap the mono on top. I just don't like have the braid smashing down on my mono when pulling the lines tight.

13. bajadave

bajadave Moderator

I prefer to double the braided line and wrap the mono on top. I just don't like have the braid smashing down on my mono when pulling the lines tight.

14. Albacrazy

Albacrazy Well-Known Member

are you sure Dave?LOL

15. NachoOne

NachoOne Well-Known Member

Brian, this looks to be a very functional knot and I can use all the help I can get in getting my knots correct. I am going to give a try! Also, I really appreciate the diagram. Thanks

16. Michael J

Michael J Well-Known Member

This is my go to knot for Braid to mono as well.
    Easy to tie,and pretty much bullet proof,I use it for everything! I go 7 up 7 down,and put a knot in the braid for a back up....but I dont think you need it.
    I've pulled on yellows in Mex w/it ,and Tuna last year. I have not broken one yet,or had one pull through if its tied properly.
    MJ.

17. chucklehead1

chucklehead1 Well-Known Member

Just tied this knot, wasn't hard and seems strong. Thanks for posting it.

18. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

I tie one very similar. Works fine for me. 65spectra to 40 seagar