need help in making a gaff

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by Herbo, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Herbo

Herbo Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,
    I'm going to attempt to make a gaff!!:eek:This should be very interesting. I have a hook already, If anyone has a short piece of Calcutta bamboo approx. 3ft. long they would like to sell,I'm looking, also what kind of cord should I use, how to wrap and tie off and seal, You're getting this from 10 thumbs Herbo when it comes to this intricate stuff!!! or if anyone makes gaffs at a reasonable price let me know.Thanx for all input and help.....:cool2:H

2. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

Here's a pic of my gaff my neighbor made for me,
    28" old handle and a size BIG hook wrapped and epoxied!!
    Fit's right into a pvc tube.
    And he said, no worries, if ya' lose that one in the surf, I'll make you another!!

Attached Files:

3. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

that should do it for ya herbo.

4. jodi805

jodi805 Well-Known Member

got one for sale in my boat now ..dbl hook 30.00 805- 696-3296 ill pmya.

5. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator Staff Member

If you are going to use a large hook, make sure you put a screw or bolt through the eye into your pole. It will help the hook from pulling though when you gaff a fish. No matter how tight you pull the cord it will still pull though. If using a gaff head then just put the tail hook in the pole.

Tuna cord works well but any nylon line will work. Cotton is much better if you plan to epoxy the whole head. Before you start wrapping, get some braid line and fold it in half. This will make a loop at one end and lay that next to the gaff hook. Make sure the loop is hanging off the end of the pole so you can put the tag line in it when you are done wrapping. This way you can pull the braid line down the handle and pull the tag line under your wrap. Makes for a clean look.

As you start your wrap, lay the beginning of your line next to the gaff head on the other side of the braid loop. Then start your wrap over the top of that line. You can just tie a knot at the beginning but this is a much cleaning look. Once you epoxy the head it will stay in there.

Don't have any bamboo but if nothing else a good hoe handle will work great.

Oh and if you are really good at wrapping then wrap about 3/4 of the gaff head then lay your braid line down with the loop hanging out the end. This will make it easier to pull the braid though. Only leave about 2" of tag line at the end when you are done. If you try to pull to much line though it could get stuck, or the braid might cut the tag line and you will have to start all over again or at least 1/4 of the way back.

6. Fishtistics

Fishtistics Well-Known Member

Herbo
    Here’s a link fishSA.com - The Gaff [Reviews] with some cool information like;
    [FONT=&quot]The Gaff[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Introduction[/FONT]
    Handle Lengths
    Fixed Gaff
    Gaff Hooks
    Gaff Safety
    Making Your Own Gaff
    There is also a u-tube I watched for a while, it’s ok, not great not bad, check it out. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3oTLtHJI_U"]YouTube - Making a Bamboo Gaff (Part II).mov[/ame]
    The u tube title is “Making a Bamboo Gaff (Part II).mov
    I can’t find (part I) maybe someone else can or knows of more helpful info.

7. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Great info here Herbo, if I was still in Cali I'd make ya one! I use to make them as gifts for my panga capt.'s in Baja.

8. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

Good idea to grind off the barb on the large hook also....
    Thanxs Joe.......

9. "KNOT HOME"

"KNOT HOME" Well-Known Member

I have a 4' Piece of Calcutta.....A Gaff Hook.....and some extra Tuna cord laying around....The handle is already wrapped with tuna cord and xwrapped...

I bought an 8' piece....cut in half...made mine....you can have all of it for $25 if ya want it and pick it up!!! Perfect for the yak or a skiff!