Need HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by bmcmikel, Dec 1, 2013.

1. bmcmikel

bmcmikel New Member

Done my first marble effect on a rod. My drier motor was getting hot , so I turned it off to early so now I have a teardrop. How do I get rid of the teardrop?:dunno:

2. Joey805

Administrator

Cut it with a razor blade is my guess? It's just the flex coat right?

3. bajadave

Ask Tops shot, don't listen to Joey................he's nuts!

4. yessokk

yessokk Well-Known Member

There are various ways of handling the drip, we all have our preferred method.
    What has worked best for me it to wait about 2 days for the epoxy to get
    somewhat cured, the idea here is you don't want it too soft. Then take a strip
    of 1/4 inch wide (aprox.) 200-300 grit sand paper and just sand the drip down with
    shoe shine type motion until it is level and the curvature matches the non-drip side
    of the epoxy. When you get the drip down to where you want it you can put the rod
    in your wrapper and spin the blank to sand the entire section down so it's round and
    nice and flat. Clean it real good to remove any sanding dust then just apply another coat of epoxy over the top, throw it back in your dryer and you will be golden.
    All of the sanding marks will disappear and you will never know there was a drip there.

Reguarding the dryer motor getting hot. Mine gets hot too but that's just how they run.
    Have run mine for hours it the hot condition and have never lost a motor. Hot to the
    human hand is about 130 F which is not really hot for an electric motor to run. I repair
    elect. motors for a living and standard motors can run up to 180 F with no problem.

Walt

PS: And oh ya,,,,, welcome to the site. Lot'sa great guys here.

#4 yessokk, Dec 2, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013