New Yak

Discussion in 'Kayak Central' started by longrod, August 1, 2005.

1. longrod

longrod Well-Known Member

Hey guys, just picked up my new yak this week, well at least new to me. Not to worry though, I got a great price and the boat is in almost new condition. Looked around at alot of different boats but the one I settled on was the Cobra Fish and dive. It is a big wide stable boat, which is perfect for me since im big, wide and clumsy. Any how, took it out fishing around Dana Point Harbor got a short calico and a mack but had a hell of a good time. The boat has two hatches and four flush mount rod holders right now and that set up was pretty nice. Looking to add one more quick draw style rod holder, fish finder and a bait tank. Oh and I almost forgot, Had to find a way to tote the boat around, At twelve feet that was a little too much to hand over the tail gate, so I ghetto fabed a rack outta pvc. It wasn't pretty but it got the job done and works good as a rack for the boat when it is in the garage.

[​IMG]

Ghetto Rack

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My new yak

[​IMG]

2. Carnivore

CONGRATS man that is awesome. Good luck smacking the fish now that you are not land locked.

3. BlackLion

BlackLion Well-Known Member

LongRod,

Nice yak, congratulations! That's a pretty cool idea with the pvc rack for the truck. Is it pretty stable and solid? You should have a great time with this yak and hope to see some cool reports from it.

BlackLion

4. YakSailor

YakSailor Well-Known Member

Impressive set-up, Longrod. Good color, too. I read that orange/mango was the easiest to see on the ocean...I read this of course, AFTER I bought my white yak.

YakSailor

5. Joey805

Administrator

Nice ride, I sense alot of fish killing in the near future for ya!

Let us know how you do.

6. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

ghetto rack...haha...it works right!...have fun in your yak</font>

7. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

Sweet looks like mine!

8. ODH33

nice YAK and RACK!

9. longrod

Just finished the bait tank was going to post pics but my camera ran out of bateries, so here's an explination, all it is is a 5 gal bucket, some 3/4 plastic tubing, some pvc fittings and a wal mart bilge pump. total cost was under 30 bucks and it seems like it shold work pretty good. goin out tommarow and if I have money I'll get a half a scoop. Also going to install a new rod holder when I get back from work. I'll post some pics tommarow

dan

10. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

Sweet! Where are you headed??? Im taking out the yak tomorrow too!

11. longrod

Just headed out of dana point harbor, was thinking of going to the kelp right off the point but got out a ways and was deturred by the red tide, I hate the red tide. Water was alright in the harbor but the fish didn't want to play. I got skunked. Oh well its just nice being out on your own boat and going where you want to go in peace. Any how gotta rethink some things on the bait tank. It is filling faster than it is draining and overflowing put another drain in but I put it too low and the tubing runs up hill. Maybe jusrt run a section of strait pipe out right at the top of the tank well and do away with the tubing to get more drainage. Ill figure it out. Pics are on the way.