Newport Bay bass fishing

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Pier, Jetty & Harbor Report' started by Jrob, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Jrob

Jrob Member

My son and I fished Newport Bay yesterday. Using 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz matching colored jig heads with Gulp 2" shrimp in natural, new penny, and nuclear Chicken colors we caught about 30 fish. Spotties, Sandies, one yellow fin croaker and four short halibut.The spotties were a mix of dinks and decent size fish including a 3lb class spoottie caught by my son. Best five fish would of been over 10 lbs. We fished the docks and the eels grass on the bay side of Balboa island. Once the overcast left and boat traffic increased the fishing slowed. Although we caught 30 we probably had 100 bites. Forgot to bring my digital camera but did have a throw away camera on board and took pictures. Will try to scan them and post. All in all a very good day. Gulp 2" shrimp are awesome. I stongly suggest you make them part of your preferred baits.

Jrob

2. Lokey

Lokey Well-Known Member

good job dude, im glad you had a great time with your son,..cant wait to see them pics!

Lo

3. crawford23

crawford23 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you had a great day out there. thanks for the tip on the gulp shrimp. I'll have to give them a try next time I fish Newport harbor.

4. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

WOW that is a nice day, thanks for the report.

5. IdRatherBeFishing

IdRatherBeFishing Well-Known Member

Nice report! Sounds like fun

6. grantar2

grantar2 Well-Known Member

JROB, thanks for the report. Was just thinking of fishing Newport Harbor next week. Just bouth a little 10 foot Achillies inflatable with 2hp out board. Just perfect for one guy to fish a place like NH. You have me excited.

Thanks

7. Jrob

Jrob Member

grantar2,

Get there early and fish the boat docks on the bay side of Balboa Island. Between the docks are moored boats and eel grass. We caught fish in both areas. The bigger fish came out of the eel grass. Just about all fish caught on Gulp shrimp. Also fish the channel that runs east and west thru the bridge on PCH. I've also been reading about "the rail" that is located where the bay runs under the Newport Blvd bridge (north bay).

Good luck!
    John

8. grantar2

Jrob, what pound test line where you throwing at them?

9. Jrob

Jrob Member

Grantar2,

8lb test Berkeley Vanish, on Shimano Chronarch baitcast reels. Loomis GLX 722 6' med action, and 783 6'6" med/heavy action rods. Home made 3/8 oz and 1/2oz jig heads various styles such as arkie, banana, and football heads. Matched the head color watermelon with natural Gulp shrimp, orange with new penny, and green chartruse with nuclear chicken. I don't recomend the Vanish line for a spinning reel, too much memory. P-Line fluorocarbon is what I'd use for a spinning reel. Probably too much information but I hope it's helpful. I don't think the style of the jig head makes a difference but I believe the matching of the colors do.

Good luck,
    John

10. 2NAB8R

2NAB8R Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report!

11. Anotherbite

Anotherbite Well-Known Member

Great report! Congrats!!

12. fisha

fisha Well-Known Member

nice report........i was on newport harbor on saturday........didnt get out until like 12 or 1 in the afternoon.......but i saw 4 halibut caught right there in front of the pavillion and daveys locker......3 in boats with live bait, and one across the harbor on the public dock with frozen anchovies. i was throwing 3" big hammers and catching sand bass and spotted bay bass. i checked out "the rail" and thats a pretty good little spot! i was there right in between tides, so it was a little slow, but still managed a few spotties. under the PCH bridge is also a good spot, but they tied up some buoys for some reason and it makes it hard to fish the pylons. got a few there too. i usually pull at least one big spottie from there when i go........or maybe i just keep catching the same one! anyways......it definately is a cool harbor to fish! i'll prolly be out there this saturday going after the halis for awhile and then for some sandies and spotties. is it just me, or do the spotties give one hell of a fight??!! i caught one last weekend that was only 8"-10" but apparently thought he was about 15"!!! i literally laughed my butt off when i got him up because of how small he was and how hard he fought! good luck everyone and i hope ya'll can get out and wet a line this weekend!

13. Jrob

Jrob Member

I agree the spotted bay bass is inch for inch and pound for pound the strongest fighting fish I've ever caught. What are "big hammers"? I assume they are swim baits. How do you fish them? How are the other Oange Co. , Los Angeles Co. bays and harbors for bay bass and hali fishing? I've fished San Diego Bay,Mission Bay and Newport. San Diego is over the top the best of the three.

Thanks,
    John

14. grantar2

Jrob,
    You might want to head north and try Alimitos Bay and Long Beach Marina, both are pretty good. Alimitos actually has a large area the navy keeps off limits that work as spawning areas.

Fisha, they are dredging the harbor starting with the back bay. I think the project is planned for two years. Should significantly deepen the channels.

Jrob, here are some photo's of Ohana.

Attached Files:

• GBS2.JPG
      GBS2.JPG
      File size:
      112.5 KB
      Views:
  15. grantar2

Boat

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
    #15 grantar2, Jun 6, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  16. grantar2

Jrob a little larger image.

Attached Files:

17. Jrob

Jrob Member

Nice boat!

Very nice boat! Looks like a very relaxing way to fish. Better yet If your motor goes out you can sail in which I think is a very good thing. I've been broken down before and had to be towed in. Fortunately I was on a lake. Safety first you know!

Thanks for the photo,
    John

18. grantar2

I would rather have a 36 grand banks or event a nice 23' formula but you fish what you got. It's paid for, only cost $1000 and it's in the water 24/7 waiting to go.

19. fisha

fisha Well-Known Member

thats kinda what i figured that they were dredging......oh well!
    ya, big hammers are swimbaits....i usually just cast em out and let em sink, then reel in a few turns and let it sink for second, then reel in a few turns...etc...... then just vary it until i find the technique that works that day
    i would say newport harbor is my favorite for bass, huntington harbor second........havent fished san diego harbor though......yet!