okuma reels

Discussion in 'Tackle 101' started by creekster, April 2, 2004.

1. Sinker

I hear ya on the engine choice but I do not like the way it raises the rear deck. If it didn't do that I would definitely go that route.

2. bajadave

Right ON! back to fishing. Lets keep itthat way.Everyone iscorrect, so lets go fishing! Even me![​IMG]

3. flattymatty

flattymatty Well-Known Member

Sinker, Have you contacted ACB yet?? Give me a call. 805 407-4031

4. outtosea

outtosea Guest

Hey sinker,

You didn't say what your present boat was? Are you just drydock working it so you can sell it and upgrade? Sounds like your moving on up to the 'west side of the city', as they say, with that newfuture boat. You must have made a killing on your property out here before moving to FL? I know I would have gone the FL route had I made out good on sale of property. Though I'll make some good money on my place here I wish my MORRO STRAND land/property would have paid me back better on my investment. I relly wanted to build and retire there but with all the red tape to build there in the 80's I just gave up on the idea. It's still as bad there with all the building restrictions, impact studies, on and on and on!

That new boat I'm sure will set you back a pretty penny! I'll have to look up their site online to see their completeboat line up. New boat prices can sure fool you today.It has that ALASKA look to it for some reason. Wonder why? They do have some interesting boat designs out there for sure.

A VA Hospital buddy of mine just got into a boat sales/rep business geared around water skiing. He's into wakeboarding and sky skis. Talk about overpriced playtoys there. But people, no matter how broke they are, just have to have that playtoy. Just like a house mortgage payments in some cases. He recently sold his duplex in LONG BEACH and made a nice killer profit. Now he bought property/house in CRYSTAL LAKE project out near ELSINORE.

I see you have a long military line in the family. Hopefully everyone made it through without a scratch!

You didn't mention it, but are you into diving too or just the wife? And yes, shhhh, is right as to the fishing boat, I mean dive boat. Looks like it has a nice cuddy cabin with enough room to get out of the weather. Looks like from the pix it seats 6 underway? Are they flexible at the assy line to change the cabin layout? I'd put some fold away galley seats in there along with takedown galley tabletopsinstead of solid seating to have more changing room dive wise. Head clearance aside. I take it the hull is painted ALUMINUM or is it a glass hull? AL would be nice! Maintenance wise that is. The ZINCS and GALVO care shouldn't be too bad if AL I would think, but with outboards it only adds to a little bit more care and upkeep. Is the boat mfg company out in FL or if not where are they located?

Beings those MERCS are just new to the market what kind of tracvk recored do they have? I hear they will onle be available to boat makers who are sleeping in bed with MERC so to speak. Pretty tight partnership there, huh? I was also suprised to see they are an I-6 engine, 4 stroke aside, as almost allOB's now are for good reasons. And they are intercooled and supercharged at that!That is outstanding as I don't know of any other OB out there with both! Do you?I only owned one 2 stroker and never again. Even though the SUZUKI 4 stroker I replaced it with was a bit more pricing the advantages outweighed the cost. It was only a kicker for trolling to save on the VOLVO I-6, and worked great. Do you have room aft for a kicker on this new boat? Some guys run just one OB, but I wouldn't as to the odd/even hours on the motors.

Stay in touch. I'll talk to you later. Gotta renew some fishing ads I have online. Lots to do today. Take care......

Frank

5. Sinker

My present boat is a 19' Sea Ray with an I/O - the history goes as such - party your butt off and refuse to grow up until you have to, then at 40 get married but get Married = sell your 28' ocean fishing boat for a Bass boat, have kids sell bass boat for family fun boat (see ski boat) but secretly modify for fishing and do that more than anything else anyway, move momma to Florida, build her a new house and beg like a baby for a new ocean boat [​IMG]. Well we moved and the house is almost finished with a room for each child plus an office for dear ole dad and mom gets a 300 sq ft kitchen (huge).

The boat runs fine just no where to put it so it is in storage with all my household goods for another 2 weeks. Didn't make a killing on my property but am fortunate non the less.

Yes a long line of military and have a nephew who is in the thick of it now in Iraq of course, but no less, in the city of - you guessed it, Ramadi and now Fallujah - some guys just keep getting sent to where the action is I guess- it's tough on a young kid and sure makes them grow up fast and gives them a whole new outlook on things, especially the simple ones, things we enjoy everyday. Can't say everyone made it through without a scratch but can say we are much more fortunate than other families.

Do I dive - heheehe DO I DIVE ? With a name like SINKER - nope not me I drive the boat but my wife dives and so does my buddy so I can still have lobster dinner.

I have had the opportunity to put the throttle down on a Merc 250 Verado and it is nothing but impressive and the others will follow suit I am sure. The response to the slightest throttle adjustment is instantaneous, throw 2 of these on a 20 to 23 foot CC boat like your talking about and you may be able to launch it out of the water on a hole shot. Again we get into preferences and I kinda like Mercs even with the bad press of late - I still say if it ain't black take it back when it comes to outboards. Some lakes will not even allow 2 strokes on them anymore.

As for the ACB - yes it is very pricey and manufactured in Washington. The boats are made I believe basically on order basis and they will design to fit your needs, you won't just find these on the average boat lot. Here is their web address http://www.acbboats.com/ FlattyMatty already has one of these boats and yes I wish I had it, he can tell you more than I as right now I just know I want one, in a few months I will look into actually getting one.Edited by: Sinker

6. outtosea

outtosea Guest

Sinker,

I thought I vaguely recognized that boat name ACB. When I was in the CG RESERVE back in 87 out of TERMINAL ISLAND in LONG BEACH I believe they had one boat by them, ACB. If not then I saw it on a training film from up on the COLUMBIA RIVER in WASH State during their rough water drills. I remember the high point of the film being the roll over and self-righting features of the boat and it's abilities to withstand a high degree of punishment. I'm not sure who makes their main cutters and smaller assist vessels but these boats were for swift water rescue and out and out speed getting to the rescue point. It's been a few years so I'm going from memory. Minute I seen Bellingham, WA from the homepagesiteit struck a bell.

I was going to guess the price of your new boat but held off, as I didn't want to underbid it. I was thinking in the mid $150k rangebut then considering the size of the boat and after reading that article on those MERC engines figured it was probably closer to $200k. From the site page info they are saying around $119k show special price but with EVINRUDE twin 250’s. Wonder what the MERCS cost? Any guesses sinker? All depends these days on what you order with it. And engines today can really bump up the final price. Much like with the twin after-cooled turbo diesels I was looking into option wise when I was going to buy a 28’ CRUISER INC with twin after-cooled turbo diesels and counter-rotating computerized controlled by VOLVO to boot. This was back in the mid 80’s and the engines alone were $12k each just by themselves. BAREBONES!! I forget what the boat cost was but it was affordable then. Now I hate to think.

That was right around the time the market fell out here in CA and everyone was getting laid off from aerospace companies. There were so many stinking boat deals to be had it wasn’t funny. You never seen a sale price on a boat in HUNTINGTON HARBOR or NEWPORT HARBOR for that matter, but that’s how bad it got. GOODBYE PLAY TOYS!! Hello mortgage foreclosures!! Bad times. They may come back to haunt everyone if bushwa gets re-elected so hold to your money a while longer. Those houses might get cheaper out there in FL too. I’m hoping so as I’m holding off a little bit longer before moving the business out there.

BTW sinker, do you know any small to mid size welding companies out there specializing in stainless steel setup/fabricating/welding that I can contact regarding my patented fishing product due out soon? I have a welder lined up here that does custom boat welding and as soon as all the non-compete forms get signed and I have my first prototype rolled off the assembly line I can put it online, as well as for local retail sales. The later being of the least concern to me right now, as my online response is so great right now that I will keep it that way for the time being. Let me know sinker. THX

Talk to you soon,

Happy fishing all……

Frank

7. Sinker

I know a few folks in California that specialize in stainless but no one out here (yet as I am sure I will).

I would imagine due to all the boating industry here that there must be a lot of them out here and that usually means some that are very good ones.

You may want to look through the adds of this Florida boards members - here is a link to themembers personal businesses etc. http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=158902lots of pages and lots of people so it may take you awhile to go through and no promises you will find anything.

Do you have your Red Ribbon yet on your patent or is it still pending. If you have already received it and have not started production yet you are a very patient person or in need of working investment capital I would imagine. A lot of work and not cheap huh :embarassed:. I say get two copies, one for display and the other for the lock box, I think it's only an extra $30.00 if you do it in one shot. Did you not have a prototype fabricated for your patent process? Or did you just submit your scaled drawings?

Yeah, again being SINKER I need a boat that can turn itself back over if I ever flip the darn thing [​IMG]. You will notice on their site they have many sizes and models and of course the ones that we civilians can't buy.

8. outtosea

outtosea Guest

Sinker,

Thx for info link, I already it to FAVORITES. Amazing how fast people started to post their businesses, and out of the first five we see 1-web designer(those guys are fast), 2-acct'ng or CPA, and 3-electrical work, and 4th-AAL. Surprised that AAL didn't grab #1. Out here there's one behind every tree, hahaha! Must not be that many out there??

Like you said, there must be a bunch of weld shops out there as to the boating industry. I don't know anyone that at one time or another doesn't need something welded on their boat.

Nice thing about FLY BY WIRE boat/motor controls like on the new MERCS is going to be no breakdowns from older typecable control linkage, etc as is always the case. If it binds it breaks, except for most VOLVO setups as they use the best of everything, even if your paying for it. I do hate to think what the black boxes will run should one fail, not counting the trottle control lever setup. Good technology though, wish I would have thought of it and had a patent on it.

As to my upcoming patent product, I'd have to go back and re-read what I wrote prior, as not to get criticized for a possible mis-statement here(forget it being true or not),but I think I said I was at the non-compete forms stageprior to going to my welder to have a prototype welded up. All my drawings will be registered with my patent atty and as soon as the prototype is ready, pix will be taken and submitted for the patent process.

I'll be meeting with my patent atty this weekend as I have to do some consulting work for him on his million(probably many more multi's by now)dollar house that overlooks all of ORANGE COUNTY. On a clear day you can see LAX, CATALINA ISLAND, AND SAN CLEMENTE ISLAND all the way to PALO VERDES POINT, and then some. AWESOME VIEW to say the least.

He and his wife would befools to ever sell it. She owns an ESCROW COMPANY that I do inspection work for prior to their personal real estate buy and sells. Good money there!! I'll miss that moving to FL but will be able to do some of the same P/T there I'm sure. Just have to hook up with the right people there. And they are there BTW. I've met nothing but GREAT PEOPLE out there every visit. It's really changed here in CA since I moved here over 25+ years ago. SAD BUT TRUE!

As far as the INV CAPITAL, no problem! I have $25k to invest myself, but the way it will be set up I shoud only be looking at having to put in about $3-5 initially. Sales will be immediate, as like I said b4, the online response is great now and I don't even have a working prototype to post. I'm using an outdated 4-5 year old model prototype I posted pre 2000.

Gotta run to the auto body shop and get some rework done on the SUV so talk to you later.

Thx again sinker for that link!

Happy fishing,

Frank

9. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

Alright, my EB 20 arrived today [​IMG]

10. outtosea

outtosea Guest

Sinker,

Talked to my patent atty the other dayand he has no idae of what you are referrring to as to the RR in your last post reagarding my upcoming patent? Are you referring to a website posting or is that a term you coined? He's been a patent atty all his life and has no clue as what you are referring to, me neither!?

You can email my addy with the reply if you like:

[email protected]

Thx sinker,

Frank

11. Sinker

Red Ribbon - when your patent is finalized and approved you receive your patent it has a gold seal with a Red Ribbon. It is a slang term "Red Ribbon" meaning all steps are complete and your patent has been successfully accepted. It contains your drawings and all that fancy mumbo jumbo terminology they are so uptight about (It's use, how it is used, and a step by step instruction program depending on what your design entails), remember all that writing you had to do (or did your attorny do it for you). So basically just the little booklet you get back when the patent process is completed and successfully accepted - The Red Ribbon Party

Part of the Phd process for a mechanical engineering degree is the successful design and patent of a product (expensive process so make it useful engineers) - been to a lot of Red Ribbon Phd Parties and that is where I picked up the term.

So if you have your Red Ribbon YOU HOLD THE PATENT [​IMG]. Probably not an accepted term in the profession but very common with the Phd'er's.Edited by: Sinker

12. outtosea

outtosea Guest

Sinker,

Figured it had to be something like that. I guess out here there's so many darn patents applied for that nobody cares to throw a party. I'll be talking with my patent atty this SAT, like I said b4, so I'll get all the poop then on what will follow. God knows he's filed thousands of patents and copyrights over his lifetime, but the CORPcourt lawsuits are what takes up a lot of his time these days. One biggeehe just got done with end of last year, I think it was, was for AFTCO MFG INC regarding rod guide patent infringement on their new guidedesign(s).

Talk to you later......

Happy fishing,

Frank

13. Sinker

Fuji's patent is getting ready to expire so suddenly they want to sue everyone for infringement on there guides as well. Crazy stuff.

Usually the people who design and apply for the Patent want to have a party but the attorneys are not usually invited as they have gotten plenty of bucks for their part already so NO FREE BEER heheehe.

Good Luck to you and when you can let us know what you have developed.

14. Finadict

Finadict Well-Known Member

Frank , Im looking for a good patent atty. Would you be willing to give me a refferal ? If this is the Aftco atty. that repeatedly spanked Steve Gustlin , From AA Roller Guide , in court.......THEN I NEED THIS GUY! He's pretty sharp! I wouldnt feel right askin Steve who the atty is who whipped him....Its a sore subject....and he's a freind of mine.We have several new products lined up in a holding pattern here , some prototyped , blueprinted , and complicated.....some so simple, its scary!

Thanx , Scott

15. Flipper

Not sure what Scott (finadict) said in his "prior last post". I re-read his last three posts and all I basically saw was him talking to Sinker about the ACB boat, a little background on himself, calling a spade a spade, and then requesting a referral.

Frank, feel free to enlighten us[​IMG]

16. Carnivore

Last post was deleted for certain reasons that I don't care to get into. I want it known that I did this out of concern that things are getting to a mean and personal level. It is not something that needs to be brought to an open forum.

Further more again I alone decided to close thisthread for that same reasons as above. I don't do this as a "look at me I am in charge (ego)" but so that all know where the blame belongs and who did it.

It is very hard to write in a way that shows you are kidding or joking with someone and sometimes words make things look different then they areor how one really feels. A joke about some one can turn from having fun with to a making fun of and tone and inflections in voice obviously can't be written in. I think this may be the case here (I hope) and this may make things better or throw gas on a building fire. Time will tell. lastly Tim and Joey have the final say and if they feel they wish to open this back up I am behind them all the way as I have not talked to either before taking this action.

That being said let's get some fish gents oh and ladies too.