OMOTO REELS

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by greyghost, April 16, 2009.

1. normannutbag

normannutbag Well-Known Member

BOING LOL

2. Dogbreath

Dogbreath Member

I'm surprised at the prices of some of these knockoffs-many Made in USA products are only a little bit more and there should be fewer issues with parts/service.

3. babachu

babachu Well-Known Member

Alan Tani did a rebuild / review of one of these on the other site.

4. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

hehe, sometimes you can get useful info from other parts of the world.
    Having said that, personally I don't own one but from what I've seen and heard I would be prepared to buy one if the price was right. The model that I am thinking of is a copy of the Shimano TLD star 20/40 and retails here for about $65.

These reels are by and large copies of existing models of known brands and in some cases even the parts fit, I've been told.

They made an appearance here about 2 years ago and someone in my area imports them and the way I understand it, was also instrumental in that particular models development.

I can try to find out some more about them if you want.

I've seen them used and abused around here and they seem to last, this far.

5. freshonefish

freshonefish Well-Known Member

Fished the VS10, VS12, Poseidon s12ll, and used the Poseidon s30ll for trolling. The VSs worked great, excellent free spool. The S12ll is light and casts very good with live bait, also has a 1.6:1 low for some cranking power. The S30ll is another excellent reel with some beef to it, also has a great price of around $329 retail. 5 day on the VAG in three weeks for the reel test.
    :D:D

6. Dogbreath

Dogbreath Member

Looking forward to your report John-when I sold tackle there were some Omoto spinning reels in stock never took much notice of them but am quite interested to hear how the newer conventional reels perform.

7. freshonefish

Just got back from the 5 day Cedros trip. I think the total was 400 YT, 80 plus Albis, 3 BFT 1 YFT, Jumbo Calicos released and a few sheep. The Omotos were great. Mel really liked them, said the Poseidon Series has the best linear curve drag system he has seen in a while. He took a S50-ll for the boat. Took a Super Seeker Ulua and paired it with a Zorro 100-ll , very nice set-up. The VS Series reels were well up to the task. My Camera took a dump but Panic is going to put a report with a bunch of pics soon as he down loads and gets stuff put together. Got off the boat and had to do a day pool route so I am beat, time for bed. Oh before I forget---Mike, Gordon,Ryan,Tim,Pauly,Mat and Galley Master Dan ( Nothing but the best service all the way around....) and a great bunch of guys on the trip. more later

#27 freshonefish, June 18, 2009
    Last edited: June 20, 2009
  8. chavezscatches

chavezscatches Well-Known Member

Sounds like the price will be a bit cheaper. hopefully it get bit more and I will probally get one..

9. chavezscatches

10. Albacrazy

Albacrazy Well-Known Member

Links not working?

11. freshonefish

www.monsterfish.com
    www.pelagicreels.com

Pointloma Sportfishing and Last Chance Bait & Tackle ( Soon )

If the links don't work type Monster Fish USA in Google.

Send me a pm if ya need more info

#31 freshonefish, June 19, 2009
    Last edited: June 22, 2009
  12. chavezscatches

13. nowork-team

nowork-team Member

Hello,
    i will try an omoto VS10 in august at northsea europe. one german tackle dealer sell some omoto´s under another brand, called "team deap sea".. price: 264 US$....:eyepopping:.. i ordered mine in australia ...

I will report the analogy with accurate, altutecnos and avet after coming back from the trip..

nowork-team

14. freshonefish

USA price should be around $179

15. chavezscatches

Not bad price if you guys say it works like the other brands then I will consider in buying one

16. freshonefish

I fished the VS10 on a Black Steel G196 8' CT 12lb-20lb. The VS12 on Black Steel G270H-8 15lb-40lb. Pulled on YT all day. Very smooth

17. thunder5l

thunder5l Member

You can also get them from us for $159.99 for the VS-10 and 199.99 for VS-12 on our Ebay store. You can also save a little more by place your order by phone. Our phone number is 561-568-3980.

18. Monsterfishusa

Monsterfishusa New Member

Hi Folks

My name is Eddie Hoch and I am one of the Managing Partners for Monster Fish USA | Fishing Reels | Fishing Tackle | Fishing Rods. We are a licensed distributor for Omoto here in the U.S. and if you go to their site OMOTO FISHING TACKLE and look for U.S. distributors, you will see my name listed. We have these reels available from our site Monster Fish USA | Fishing Reels | Fishing Tackle | Fishing Rods as well as parts for these reels as well if so needed. We also have a warranty repair facility in Orlando, FL should any of the reels need servicing. I see that there are others that are offering this reel at reduced pricing. Please keep in mind that if purchased from the other sites, they cannot offer servicing for these reels. Please feel free to contact us at (407) 362-7708 with any questions.

As far as the reels are concerned, these reels are mad by Omoto out of Taiwan. (A Bit of history) Omoto is an OEM manufacturer for Penn, Abu Garcia and Shakespeare and have been in business since the 70's. I have been an Avet user for quite some time now and can tell you I will put the Omoto reels up against anything on the market comparable. I let the product speak for itself and I can provide testimonials from around the World. I would venture to say that unless one has acutally used the Omoto product, it is not fair to say that they are a cheap copy. I can provide pictures of much more EXPENSIVE reels that have gone through repairs after 6 months of use. Don't knock em' til' you try em'.

Take care and keep em tight....

#38 Monsterfishusa, June 24, 2009
    Last edited: July 9, 2009
  19. potto

potto Well-Known Member

So then why buy Taiwan, when you can support the good old U.S.A. workers. The added price on the Avet sounds worth it when it comes to servicing the reels.

20. nowork-team

nowork-team Member

i supported the good old USA worker (penn) a long time..

i fished with alutecnos (really nice) from italy, but if i want to support a german manufacturer, it´s not possible,..,so i give an omoto a chance ..

i recivied two omoto today (VS10 / VS12LH), which will be tested at begin august at northsea...i will report..

PS. Taiwan is not VR China..look for your global security