Oregon Surf Fishing

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Surf Reports' started by moosebrew13, June 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. moosebrew13

moosebrew13 New Member

Hi everyone. I am new here and have been reading lots of great stuff about surf fishing in CA but I am up in Oregon and wondered what the deal is up here? I am mostly interested in perch but am not picky. Any fishing is fun fishing.

I have read a lot about light tackle fishing but does anyone know if that works well in OR? Some of the stuff I read says use a 12ft pole, 20lb line, and 3-5 oz weight with a crappie style rig using bait on it. Other things say a 6' 6"ish trout pole with 6lb line and a carolina rigged artificial bait. What it the best way to go?

Also I will be fishing near a jetty that extends out about 100 ft. (South jetty of Nehalem bay if you know the area.) Would this effect the outfit I should be using? Are there better place to fish close to this area?

Thanks for all the help. I hope you people can save me money by helping me buy the correct kind of setup.

2. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

welcome brada.

3. snot_nose

snot_nose Well-Known Member

welcome!!!!

4. fishingbeast

fishingbeast Well-Known Member

welcome to the family

5. mglindo

mglindo Well-Known Member

Try going to the Tips and Tricks section of this forum.

6. bj1jimenez

bj1jimenez Well-Known Member

7. moosebrew13

moosebrew13 New Member

Where do I find this? I didn't see it anywhere.

Also, thanks for all the warm welcomes.

8. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

9. phamf

phamf Member

For the most part, Oregon beaches have pretty high waves and there are very few days when you can get away with a light rig.
    I haven't fished in the Nehalem bay but if you drive south on 101 for about 20 minutes, you'll get to Tillamook bay where the jetty extends out longer. There are lots of kelp greenling off that jetty.
    I'm sure you can nail them at the Nehalem jetty as well.
    I usually focus on the northern beaches in the Seaside area.

10. moosebrew13

moosebrew13 New Member

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. If you don't mind, where do you usually have success up north at? General location is fine, I don't want to steal your secret spot, ;) just looking for a good location to start.

11. phamf

phamf Member

Seaside at the cove. Hard to not miss it. It's a well known spot. Maybe I'll see you one day.

12. Lipripr

Lipripr New Member

I too will be playing in seaside

I am heading to seaside Friday for a week. I will be taking a tuna charter and im super stoked about that for i have been and inland king for quite some time but never been able to play in the salt. But i wanna do some surf fishin as well i read the tip and tricks for this and was just curious u mainly us plastics out there? No bait whats easiest and most productive? Appreciate any info available.

13. phamf

phamf Member

Best method is a 3-4oz pyramid sinker with a #2 bait holder hook above it. The easiest bait would probably be the grocery shrimp cut into 1/2" chunks.