penn international 12 T, TL, H

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by progearit, March 5, 2008.

1. progearit

progearit Well-Known Member

Hi all, can anyone please tell me what the difference is with the three models and how well are they built.........thank you

2. Carnivore

12t is normal 12L is left handed and 12H is high speed 4:1 gear ratio.

3. progearit

thanks....but how well are they built and can you use 50/60lbs?

4. COfishnfiend

COfishnfiend Well-Known Member

Hi neighbor.
    As I recall, the 12H has more and better metal parts as opposed to the lesser quality plastic parts found on the later manufactured 12T and then later still 12LT. While I am not sure of it,I dont think the 12LT is a left handed reel.
    I wouldn't go much higher than 50# on any of these reels. And only then by using a short topshot of it over spectra. 65# for the spectra shouldn't be a problem. With mono of a higher breaking strength w/o spectra,you loose line capacity and don't really gain anything as far as better drag goes. Unless you send it to Cal Sheets for upgrades. Even then, it turns into a HIGHER maintenance reel that way. If you can't do the work on it yourself,then you are probably better off getting more bang for your buck with an Avet or Accurate. Charkbait has decent prices on the new Baker Reels that are similar to the small Internationals.
    Chuck

5. Ready4TheYellows

Ready4TheYellows Well-Known Member

Baja fish gear has upgraded Bakers in stock so yuo dont have to wait.

6. progearit

Chuck, thanks for info.....neighbor.....

7. titan05

titan05 Well-Known Member

Minh,

The 12 H was one of the first 12 size internationals and is a nice choice for a 2 speed upgrade but the basic parts are getting hard to find. The 12 T is the middle edition and is an awesome reel after the 2 speed work by Cal. I have this reel and fish 50# on it and it just keep getting the job done. The last edition is the 12LT and it is a bit different than the 12T. Drag covers are different and the spools have a different plate on them for the clicker side. I have found the 12LT has a bit less drag but that can be changed by working with the belville washers and how you stack them ()() or (()) or any other configuration you may want to try. One thing that requires maintance is the bearings.....just make sure you do justice to your reel and keep it clean. The 12 series reel is very easy to work on but then again so is the 16S, 20T, 30T, 30S(W), 50S(W), 80 and all of the rest.

Get the topless frames for them...either Baker frames of Tiburon Frames and enjoy. I have the 12T and 12LT both topless and 2 speeded with T-Bar handles and they rip it up.

The other thing is that if you want to really get drag and freespool....send it to Cofe.....he is awesome and that reel will turn like a top.

PM me if you have any question.

8. progearit

Jim, thanks for great info. I'm going to buy the 12t and cal sheet it.......

9. Anyhoo

Anyhoo Well-Known Member

Minh--A 12T two speeded by Cal is an awesome reel. However, by the time you add in the cost of the reel purchase and Cal's treatment you could almost buy a new accurate two speed. Better range of drag on the accurate.

LT

10. progearit

Thanks.....I have 3 accurates 2speed and i'm selling those here.......

11. Anyhoo

Anyhoo Well-Known Member

Minh--Just saw that. You will definitely be happy with a 12 two speeded. Cal offers a Super 12 as well. Add another 160 or so to the cost of two speeding and blueprinting. Makes it so yu can get 20-30lbs of drag out of the reel. 12T and 12H can be made to get up to 20lbs of drag--12LT can be made to quite a bit higher.

BTW--12H and T are almost identical. T is the version between the T and LT. Cal will fill you in on all the detail and what he likes about each version.
    If you really want a dissertation, get ahold of Larry Cofe at Cofe Products.

LT

12. progearit

thanks leland......

13. Bluechip

Bluechip New Member

Posted via Mobile Device

14. Bluechip

Bluechip New Member

Once you get Larry to "fix you up" you may never go back. The 12 two speed by Cal and then freespooled by Cofe is one bad mommy. Nothing else can touch it. I have done three this way and love them all. I also have two Bakers. They are COOL, but still not to the spec that Cofe will do. You wont be let down.

15. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

So what did you go with ANYHOO?

16. CAPT WILL

CAPT WILL Well-Known Member

yeah........lol

also i would say a 30tw!!!

17. racoonbeast

racoonbeast New Member

Differences between Penn 12H and Penn 12T

I don't want to rain on anyones's parade and I know this is two years old. But, the 12H and 12T are two totally different reels. The 12H is made along the time honored side plates joined by bars. The 12T has a one piece tubular frame. That is where the "T" comes from. The was the next evolution of the Penn International all across the line except the 12H for some reason. There is very little difference between the 12H and the 12. The 12H has the same speed gears as the 12. The major differences are the internal design of the spool, and the way it is held in to over simplify it. It is an odd little reel that internally has not been seen before or since. Looking back at the whole lineage of the International line, one is intrigued how this design improvement just popped up and went away. Its just my opinion, but I think that it represented what the second generation International was going to look like before Penn caught "tubular frame fever" from the Japanese and all the aftermarket companies making tubular frames for these and other Penn reels. By this time, Penn, who was notoriously bad at reading the hand writing on the wall and got their lunch ate by all kinds of people before the changes everyone obviously wanted because aftermarket companies were getting rich supplying them, finally decided to reap some of the harvest themselves.

As far as all of these supermen who do wonderful work on these little reels, I am not into taking an out of production reel whose numbers are becoming smaller all the time, getting seven hundred bucks in the thing so that it is almost as good as almost anything that you could buy for four hundred or less, and ruining it forevever for the collecting market.

18. skipjack

skipjack Well-Known Member

The penn 12vsx is the newest one made for heaver line.I have 2 16vsx`s and they are very nice.