question on line

Discussion in 'Tackle 101' started by odnealtim, June 12, 2013.

1. odnealtim

odnealtim Member

hey guys havent fished seabass much ....do you prefer straight mono or spectra w/top shot for seabass ?any opinions will be appreciated thanx

2. "KNOT HOME"

"KNOT HOME" Well-Known Member

My 1st three choices in order...

1. Spectra to 30 or 40# Fluoro.......
    2. Spectra to 30 or 40# Fluoro.......
    3. Spectra to 30 or 40# Fluoro.......

3. derfsondeck

derfsondeck Well-Known Member

I'm a straight spectra to fluoro guy also.FOR EVERYTHING!Except sometimes when fishing surface iron I straight tie the spectra.Talk about a solid hook up!I do recommend getting a few seasons underv yur belt before u try it though

4. Joey805

Administrator

I usually do spectra backing and then 20 or so yards of mono. If the fishing gets tough, I'll tie on 10 feet of fluorocarbon to the mono.

5. wodar1

wodar1 Well-Known Member

I second these opinions, spectra to flouro on all my rigs. I think I still have straight mono on my 20# rig though.

6. odnealtim

odnealtim Member

thanx

thanx guys thats what i was thinking from what i have been reading... appreciate it

7. terrace

terrace Active Member

Spectra to flouro. What knot ?

8. derfsondeck

derfsondeck Well-Known Member

I use the RP/John Collins knot.Comes out small and tight casts through the guides no prob

9. bajadave

light drag

10. yessokk

yessokk Well-Known Member

Here is a link that you will find of interest. It shows the facts on what
    knots are worth using and which ones are junk. My favorite "Junk Knot"
    a knot that a lot of anglers use for the spectra mono/fluoro join but is in
    my and others opinion truly not worth the effort to use. That is the Uni to Uni
    knot. Have tested this knot many times and it will cause whaling and gnashing
    of teeth when Gladis the Barbarian sucks down your Sardine. There is also
    a test of the Uni to Uni on the Knot Wars forum that confirms it weakness.
    Look for the Uni to Uni results on the link below.
    This site gives some very good knots to use:
    Strongest Fishing Knot | Sport Fishing

A knot that was not tested by Sport Fishing Mag. was the Bob Sands knot which
    is my favorite with the modification of using 20 wraps up with a small space and
    30-50 wraps back down right next to each other. The Bob Sands instructions call
    for 12 up and 12 down but the more wraps you can do the stronger it will be. You
    will reach a point when too many wraps are used the spectra cannot be cinched
    down completely. When this happens just keep reducing the #of wraps up until
    the knot will cinch down completely. Be sure to use a glove or a tool to wrap the
    spectra around to tighten it down other wise nasty things will happen to your
    hand.

2 knots that have tested out very well are the Bob Sands knot above and
    the Improved Albright. The Tony Pena knot is almost identical to the Bob Sands
    knot but it uses a single overhand knot for the stop knot, would strongly recommend
    using a 3 turn uni like what's used in the Bob Sands knot. I have had that single
    overhand knot slip and the specta pull right off the end of the line. The 3 turn Uni
    eliminates that problem.

Walt

PS: regarding the John Collins knot make sure you pull test that knot as hard as
    you can, if it's not tied correctly that knot will just slip off the end of the fluoro.
    Fluorocarbon is considerably harder then mono and it takes a lot of pressure
    for the spectra to cinch down and sink down into it. Sometimes is will not grip
    the harder fluorocarbons and just slip off. The knot is great when the spectra
    grips correctly but when it does not there are problems.

11. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

It is hard to cinch up the 3 turn uni and keep it tight so another solution is to wrap the tag end of the spectra through the loop in the fluoro twice to eliminate that annoying problem.

12. ThresherThrasher

Depends on what type of structure is around

I'm not certain myself, but seen some seminars where people claim Seabass are not line shy at all. I prefer 50 pound braid to 30 pound flouro but Ive seen plenty of big Seabass takin on straight mono as well. If there is allot of kelp or anchor lines around, think bigger.
    Tight Lines.

13. packlastrocer

packlastrocer New Member

You know I don't want to pay bass pro shops an arm and a leg for tackle. And I hate to buy cheap items from ebay and amazon. Any good websites to get fishing tackle cheap?

I found this site via facebook.

However; I am not sure whether it is a legal site.

Pls give me some advice. Thank you

#13 packlastrocer, January 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: January 22, 2014
  14. Carnivore

I removed the link you put in as you have joined other sites asking the same question about the same link. Seems a bit fishy like you are trying to direct traffic there with out going through the process of getting the ok to do so. If you are ligit I apologize, it looks like the site is new and unrated. I would say use a different one. I like http://www.charkbait.com/ for most of my line. They have decent prices but they stand behind the products.

15. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Spectra to Floro joined with Seaguar knot

16. KaiMan

KaiMan Well-Known Member

roy Rose knot or triple surgeons knot on the leader flouro-no name knot on the spectra is what i use.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/techniques/sport-fishing-knot-challenge

BAck to the seabass question. there are many captains I talk to that want at least 10-20 yards of mono or flouro for the seabass, this supposedly prevents less thrown hooks.

#16 KaiMan, April 23, 2014
    Last edited: April 23, 2014