reel upgrades

Discussion in 'Tackle 101' started by RodJerker, October 25, 2014.

1. RodJerker

RodJerker Well-Known Member

I am thinking about upgrading my Calcutta 400 instead of spending the money on buying a new reel. I was wondering if there are reputable brands for the bearings and drag washers. I was on this website, http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/bearing-upgrades-shimano-c-47_137.html
    I also have a Calcutta te 200, I don't know if I bought a set of those bearings if I would be able to upgrade both my reels.

Stainless steel or ceramic?

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks

2. Carnivore

Depending on what Shimano would sell their bearings for, if they are more expensive, then these would be find to use. They won't give you greater casting distance or up your line rating it is really more a gimmick then anything.

Like putting "Z" rated 120+ mile an hour tires on a car that tops out at 90. It won't hurt but they are not going to help either.

The better quality the bearing the better the reliance on precision. You don't need a class 7 or 9 bearing in a reel but in a plane that could cause a prop to become unbalanced, or a mill that needs to hold a 2 thousands of an inch tolerance etc then they are necessary. In a reel you won't even notice a difference as the run out of the spindle isn't a detriment to the distance you can cast. Sometimes it will even be better to have a more loose bearing to get a better cast.

Class 7 and 9 work better under pressure too. Meaning that with 2 tons of pressure or weight they run smoother then with no pressure. So again if the stock bearings are cheaper I wouldn't spend extra money on these.

Ceramic bearings do not ware on themselves and do not suffer from thermal expansion. They are great for racing or turbos where high heat that would burn off lubricants and super high speeds happen but would be a waste of money in a reel that sees limited times of speed. Even in big tuna reels, the drags cause a thousand times more heat then the bearings ever would even in high speed runs the tuna take.

3. Carnivore

One thing I forgot. Calcutta is around and arguably by some the top of the heap for reels. Not sure what you are upgrading too. If you mean line size, fish size etc, then these bearing "upgrades" won't cut it. You will have to step up to a bigger reel. If you mean quality but in the same size reel, then again arguably you are not going to get much better. Well unless you go Avet hehehehe.

4. RodJerker

RodJerker Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great explination! I went to the local tackle store and they also talked me out of buying these upgraded parts until my reel fails.

I ended up purchasing the bar that would replace the level wind. It comes from the Calcutta 400 version without the level wind.

What do you think about removing the casting brakes?

I felt like my Calcutta 400 doesn't freespool as well as some of my other reels, so when I flyline smaller baits like anchovies I end up letting line out with my hand so the bait doesn't have to work against the slight resistance in freespool. I met a guy on a fishing boat that modified his Calcutta 400b and his reel freespools way better than mine. He was talking about using silicone lube for his bearings but having to open his reel and regrease it every trip. I work as a mechanic daily, so opening up my reels isn't much of a problem, but I want to learn more about my reels so I can service them myself

5. Carnivore

On my 400 I have the casting brakes set at 3 out 3 in but I had to really back off the spindle brake but now the thing will just about over cast it's self. You may want to check and make sure the spindle brake knob is clean and greased but backed out enough it isn't messing things up. I would try that first before making my headaches for myself.

6. terrace

terrace Active Member

7. JR12

JR12 Well-Known Member

calcutta brake

I got mine set at 1 in 1out from 12 o clock of reel spool it works great cast very smooth and no birdsnest :rockon:

8. rpcrowe

rpcrowe Member

I'd start off by making sure that the reel is clean and well serviced.

Use three of the internal magnets.

Start off with just slight tension on the spindle brake. Hold the rod straight out and free spool it. If the spool continues when the casting weight (or bait) hits the ground, tighten the spindle brake a bit. Keep doing that until the spool rotation just stops when the weight or bait hits the deck. You will now have the reel set up for casting the weight you have selected.

Set up this way, I can cast a pinhead anchovy plus a splitshot a goodly distance with no overrun.

My Calcutta 400 is the original version without the levelwind. I love it to death combined with a 10-25# 8-foot Lamiglas rod with micro roller guides or my Calstar GF 800XL (with 6-inches cut off the butt) also with micro roller guides.

I have a 400 with a level wind but don't like that reel anywhere near how much I like the non level wind version.