Refugio Report and Casitas

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by YakSailor, Apr 14, 2007.

1. YakSailor

YakSailor Well-Known Member

Just a quick combined report from our Spring Break.

We never got into the water at Refugio due to the wind, but I snapped a couple of quick shots when we first got there. We met Rossman (KSF.com), who was able to fish before the wind kicked up. He threw plastics up and down the kelp beds for nada. Ed drove up from Camarillo on Wednesday, but the wind was howling, and in the most dangerous direction...out to sea. Sometimes you just have to wait for the opportunities to avail themselves.

Here's Austin checking out the surfers:
    [​IMG]

There's some good fishing structure there at high tide:
    [​IMG]

Yesterday, we took a chance at Casitas, since the waves were pounding, and the wind report was not looking good. We got in a couple of hours of fishing before the wind kicked up and created white caps on the lake. Casitas pretty much had 1 foot swells at the Coyote launch ramp!

We saw quite a few lunkers prowling in 2 feet of water, but they were skittish. Fished the reeds for a while for a lot of bites and only a couple of small bass. We went over to the West side of Coyote creek and found some good coves for shelter. Hooked up on a couple more. Here's the pics:

This little guy immediately swam for the structure and promptly wrapped himself up in it. I hate that when that happens. You really don't know if you have something or if you just got snagged. I let the line out for a few minutes, and sure enough he untangled himself. Salvaged my set-up and the fish.
    [​IMG]

This guy jumped and put on a good show. I hope to catch him again soon:
    [​IMG]

2. peterotto

peterotto Guest

Thanks for the report John. The wind is keeping most of us a home. I'm glad you caught something. Lets hook up sometime and try that area again. It sure is pretty up there.

TL

3. ODOGFISH

ODOGFISH Well-Known Member

BUMMER ABOUT the WEATHER, the winds blowing off shore is not a good thing if your on a yak , damn and white caps at the lake ... :( ... well atleast you guys got to hook-up on some bass , did the REVO'S see any action ?

... great pix's & report . . :cool2:

4. Anotherbite

Anotherbite Well-Known Member

Great report John! Nice job on the bass too!

Austin looks irritated at not being able to fish in that first pic! Not that I blame him!!

5. Herbo

Herbo Well-Known Member

good report great pics, bummer about the wind looks like good weather

6. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

Thanks john......your spending a lot time there at casitas....and doing well too.....nice pics at refugio !

7. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Thanx for sharing guys...........nice effort on the Bass!

8. Surfdog

Surfdog Well-Known Member

Refugio

Got to get up there to Refugio, thats where the Central Coast starts its California thing.