Roof Rack Strap Noise

Discussion in 'The Yak Shack' started by dudewarner, Apr 13, 2015.

1. dudewarner

dudewarner Well-Known Member

I just purchased my first new kayak a 12' sit on top fishing yak. So I took my first trip out to Pinto Lake for a little bass fishing I had no problems on the way there but on the way home I had a bad vibration at all speeds. I have TRACRAC Racks on my 06 sierra, I hear putting a twist in the straps will stop this, and I had put the straps straight on the way home making sure there was no twist. Is this my problem? (kayak rookie) I did have a great time the fishing was slow but the weather was great, should have bought a kayak a long time ago.

2. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

I can't speak for your particular rack but when I see flatbed trucks on the road, their straps always have a 1/2 turn from one side to the other. Hopefully it is that simple for you.

3. gancho

gancho Member

Hey Dude. Several twist always did it for me. Even twisted the straps on the kayak hatch cover and tank well. Put a rubber band on the carry handles to keep them from flopping in the wind. Stop during your journey to double check all the tie downs. Ocean kayak fishing has 4 levels of enjoyment for me. 1, on the water. 2. On the ocean. 3 catching fish. 4. Catching big fish. Enjoy. Gancho

4. dudewarner

dudewarner Well-Known Member

Thanks Dennis
    Put a couple twist in and the noise stopped, went to another pond the other day and fished places where I could never reach on land, I am hooked <(((><