Santa Cruz 6/25

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Off-Shore & Island Reports' started by Paddy, June 26, 2015.

1. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

Headed out of Oxnard at 5am. Stopped and picked up a scoop of chovies at cisco's in case we could not make squid. Headed to chinese in hopes the squid were still around. Jigged a tank full rather quickly and set up on the bottom. Saw one boat land a yellow and not much else. The mackerel is very thick and was becoming a bit frustrating keeping a bait in the water. We decided to head to yellowbanks and fish there. Last week we pulled a nice halibut and yellowtail there and saw some free swimming wsb. The fog was thick, I just installed a new garmin xhd and it was bad ass picking up everything. As we are rounding the corner it is lit up with boats. It is full on barracuda with a mix of bonita. Lot's of fun on the iron, a fish a cast. Played with them for a while and did some halibut drifts before calling it a day. Nice smooth run in. Did buy a magma grill. I can't believe I been boating so long without one. Deff recommend!

Attached Files:

2. MrPukaShell

MrPukaShell Well-Known Member

That Cuda is a hog. Sounds like a great day on the water. Thanks for sharing. Burgers look awesome....

3. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

now im hungry. thanks for the report

4. thatsharkguy

thatsharkguy Well-Known Member

Big Ol cuder!

Thanks for the report.

5. Carnivore

Nice job and fish. Love those grills I have just about wore mine out.

6. catchofthemonth

7. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

Are those cuda marks on the first pick of the FF ? It says 10.8 volts on the screen ?
    and 64.75 water is super warm. I saw 59-61 yesterday

8. Rip

Rip Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Intel on the squid.
    Looks like sea bass nuggets to me.
    I've heard the old salts say to fillet a small piece of barracuda and drop it through the school, with weight, to get down to the sea bass. Worth a try?

9. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member

Those are barracuda on the screen. As far as temp goes I think its accurate. I calibrated it when I installed it years ago. I run my boat on one battery out of three group 31 trojens. Motor off, all electronic on and power inverter on (heating bbq beans) battery volts drop. But never an issue.

10. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Nice report congrats