SB Coast - Red, Coppers, Lingers, Whitefish,.....

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater In-Shore Reports' started by Nardo, December 21, 2011.

1. Nardo

Nardo Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,

This is a late report for Sunday. (Been out working a two day since.) Made a run up the coast to check a few spots with a buddy of mine. Fished a dozen spots from 100'-240' with mixed results. Ended with limits of red and coppers as well as a nice ling and a huge whitefish. (Camera got left at home somehow.) Was not impressed with the grade of fish over all. The biggest red was 5-6lbs, most where 2-4lbs.

Was only able to fish for 3 hours before the wind filled in and chased us away. Between Refugio and Goleta is got down right nasty. Swell was 7-8' and winds gusting to 20 plus knots. Had a few big breaks try to pitch us side ways. Nastiest stuff I have had my Parker out in but she handled it well.

I do have an official complaint to address......

(The official complaint has been addressed and resolved via a Private Message. I no longer wish to share the story. No hard feelings!)

Nardo

Blue Pacific Enterprise
    Deckhand & Crew Services: sport - commercial - leisure
    Pro Staff - Phenix Rods & Boca Bearings

#1 Nardo, December 21, 2011
    Last edited: December 21, 2011
  2. "KNOT HOME"

"KNOT HOME" Well-Known Member

Nice day of fishing....

Ive seen it all the last 2 seasons....cant believe the lack of etiquette out there!!

Cant even count how many times, people pulled up to 20-30 feet away at greylight simply to ask...."any biters"?? ........ Idiots!!! Use your VHF and let me ignore you that way... No need to pull up to a boat for any reason unless your bros and got called in for bait....

3. Alibi Two

Alibi Two Well-Known Member

Damn guys with their Parkers, think they own the water. hahaha

4. smidge

smidge Well-Known Member

Cool thanks for the report Nick. Do you have a temp guage, would be stoked to know the temp. That wind can hoot on the Gaviota coast. Rotten eggs are good communicators.

5. Nardo

Nardo Well-Known Member

The water up above was mostly 56-57 degrees.

Did take a few Hali drifts as we retreated but no biters.

#5 Nardo, December 21, 2011
  6. fishingbeast

fishingbeast Well-Known Member

Cool thanks for report and Happy Holidays.

7. smidge

smidge Well-Known Member

Cool thanks Nick.

8. Torrn

Torrn Well-Known Member

7-8' swells and 20 knots on the Gaviota coast is nasty! Glad you got some biters to stock the freezer and the hali drift report is appreciated.

Randy: "Use your VHF and let me ignore you that way... " truer words have never been spoken. lol

Post # 666 Bwahahahahaha

#8 Torrn, December 21, 2011
  9. Nardo

Nardo Well-Known Member

What made it extremely difficult was the residual wind chop from the 20-25kt Nor Easterlies the day before and the Nor Westerly over night. Luck-fully the period was 15 seconds. If is was shorter we would have been hurting. The 5-10kt forecast I read was more than wrong!!!