Seabass 2 day trip 7/4 and 7/5

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Off-Shore & Island Reports' started by Carnivore, July 9, 2012.

1. Carnivore

[​IMG]

Sorry for the late report, been taking advantage of the long weekend off. Cut to the end for the counts if you are not a story reader.

Day 1 of the trip started as usual, I picked up Joey at 4:30 O my god it's early clock Wednesday. Me working on 3 hours sleep and him on none. Headed to the landing with multi-day pass and dreams of lots of fish in hand. We launched, headed to picked up bait at C.I. Sportfishing and got a great hot shot of candy for the excursion. A short run to the flats and started metering for squid. We found a very fishy spot and dropped the hook. The morning started slow with a pick of seabirds and barracuda. We caught up on our lives not seeing each other in a while waiting for the fishing to turn on. Well just as the tide went slack the first rod went off.

Joey with his lightning reflexes grabbed the rod and set the hook. In fact I don't think I got a rod first all trip other then a late night screamer (that will come later). He handed MY rod off to me and the fight was on. We knew it was the right kind and it wasn't long till Joey's gaff shot brought in the first white sea bass of the day. Not a personal best for me but a respectable 30 pounder was in the boat and the skunk was off in style. Unfortunately that was the only white sea bass we got on that spot. The day before saw limits for sport boats but the pressure shut it down and we only saw one other fish get hit.

The decision was made to head for the islands with the first stop at Chinese. Some info had the halibut biting a few days before but when we got there it was apparent that the bite was off. We worked the area with a few drifts that had produced for us in the past but no love was to be found in this place that day. We worked our way back to the gap hitting the places we knew along the way. This trip Santa Cruz was going to give us the cold shoulder and so we headed to Ana to fish the slack tide there.

Anacapa: So we metered around for a while getting a lay of the aquatic land so to speak. After finding what we thought was the best grounds we set the hook and in a rookie move on my part swung back in place to be what I felt was to close to the boat behind us. The boat so happed to be Randy's boat but I hopped any fish we got could be kept in play in our area. We dropped out lines and with in seconds mine went SCREEMING straight to his anchor. No doubt a hung yellow as nothing was changing this fishes mind to take a different path. Sure enough my stupid move got me in Randy's anchor and even though they worked to get it out not to loose the fish it just wasn't meant to be. They even went the extra mile to pull up their anchor (by hand) to save the fish. Big props go out to them for that, thank you. Well now the blood is boiling but no other fish wanted to play other then again some barracuda. Current was ripping though the area and even on the anchor we were trolling 12oz.

Well 7 O'clock had just come and gone and it was decided to break out the BBQ and get some dinner. As the steaks hit the hot grill you would know it, a late arrival once again hit my new Avet reel and it was game on. Turned off the grill and cleared the deck for a short fight on a 20 pound white sea bass. Now 2 in the boat it wasn't the WFO we had hopped for that was for sure. Tuned the grill on and pigged out. Joey crashed early and I stayed up to watch a net boat working the area just west of us. I love the water at night, the only thing that could have been better is if the sky was visible. Over cast and misting stinks but still beats the city lights and car horns anyday.

Hit the sack at 10:30 with lines loaded in the water ready for some late night action. Well we got it just in the early morning. At 2am Joey's line started peeling off like it was hit by a train. I was in the only position to get it but having a hard time getting my fat butt up and out on deck. With only one shoe on and Joey yelling it was going to get spooled I had to bite the bullet and out on deck with one bare foot. Now with Joey laughing hysterically in the back ground I grab the rod and set the hook only to have it POP and nothing. Pulled back a clean cut line at the hook knot. Since it went straight to the surface and it was cut though the deduction was a seal had a hook in it's lip and I had a frozen foot. Oh well back to bed to listen to Joey laughing over and over.

Day 2 at 4:30 am and I was tending lines on the only boat in the area. Everything ready for the gray light. I had no sleep at all the night before and Joey was in for the grumpy bear of the sea all day. Poor guy I went off at the drop of a hat but he took it in style.....egging me on lol. Anyway nothing happened till about 8 an surrounded by boats now, it was game on. Joey nailed 2 in a row a 32# and a 18# (he just had to beat me). I got the next with Joey hitting his 3rd for the day bout 8:30 and then it shut off. The current started ripping again and that was about all she wrote. It was nice for a change being the only boat in the area that was getting fish....we were due. Steve Kelly in the back ground egging us on wasn't bad either lol. We stuck it out until just about 2 when my line went hot again. My new combo was the hot stick of the trip and in short time a nice 18# came over the side. I now had Joey beat in count but he still had jack pot. We broke it off at 2:30 and headed for home. Cleaned fish behind the break wall and then to the ramp. Home by 6pm and just wiped out. 7 fish, 55 miles and very happy fisherman. Thanks about Joey for a great trip. Sorry if I was a jerk on Thursday but how is that different then any other day. Now to defrost my fish and vacuum pack them. I spent the rest of the weekend shooting in the desert YA!!!

Ok for the short of it for those that hate stories....
    2 days the flats, Cruz and Anacapa water was 58 to 63 degrees, with were 70 to 120 feet mostly slack tide catches midmornings.

Me 4 white sea bass (yes 2 day permit) 30# 21# 20# and 18# multiple baries 1 seal and 2 birds.

Joey 3 white sea bass 32# 22# and 18# with multiple baries and not sure what else.

Ok pics below I hope....

Attached Files:

#1 Carnivore, July 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: July 10, 2012
  2. marineslayer

marineslayer Well-Known Member

Carni you got out, the weather was good, and you caught some fishes. congrats on the good trip guys.

3. skull

skull Well-Known Member

I was waiting for this report! Great report and pics and way to go Carni and Joey!!!

Skull

4. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

About fn time bro!LOL
    Great report, pics and two great guys, congratulations to you both on a great team effort:cool2:

5. cappo5150

cappo5150 Well-Known Member

WOWOWOW carni got out and caught fish? Or did joey let you pose with them? JK good job guys.

6. freshone49

freshone49 Well-Known Member

way to break in a new set up!!

7. Musubi

Musubi Well-Known Member

Love it.

8. wils

wils Well-Known Member

what a couple of mugs....

Great report, Carni!!!!!!!!!

9. Yakman

Yakman Well-Known Member

NICE load of fish Drew and Joey, way to GO!!

10. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Well-Known Member

11. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

I'm call"n store bought fish,carnie fishes for rockcod>m LOL
    loved the report and the pic's....

12. spartan44

spartan44 Well-Known Member

Awesome guys :)

13. Big-D

Big-D Well-Known Member

Great report drew, thanks for the pictures.......................................

Big-D and the Dog

14. ODH33

nice fishing right there

15. Alibi Two

Alibi Two Well-Known Member

Great trip there.

16. Carnivore

LoL great replies too funny. It was about time I got on the water for some fishing action. Thanks

17. Torrn

Torrn Well-Known Member

You dared get within squid throwing distance of Randy?!
    Nice to see you guys got out and into some quality fish!

18. WanderingBlues

WanderingBlues Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with that at all. Glad to see you guys had a good trip.

19. derfsondeck

derfsondeck Well-Known Member

Way to kick some arse boys!!!

20. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

Great read Drew- nice hook up guys, good to see you getting out for an overnighter.
    How rad is it to jump up in the middle of the night to a screaming reel...priceless...