Shark Fishing From Beach

Discussion in 'East Coast' started by Sinker, April 4, 2011.

1. Sinker

Well my Nephew Robert was out from New York visiting. We decided last minute to go fishing (at midnight) down at Sebastian Inlet on the South Beach.

No bait shops open so my Dad, Robert and I found some 2 year old Lady Fish in my freezer and decided we would just try for some sharks if anything would eat the old fish.

Had probably 6 good bites but only landed this little guy who went a bit over 5'. So nothing huge but he did catch it on spinning gear with no trouble.

Hey - we got out and NO SKUNK - so not bad for a last minute beach trip at midnight.

Attached Files:

2. potto

potto Well-Known Member

Nice fish from the surf. I bet it was fun.

3. Sinker

Well we were hoping for a 8' + but last minute and unprepared we can't complain. He was happy and hooked up so that was the most important part.

If weather holds we will be out in the boat tomorrow but it is looking like rain in the forecast so we will wait and see.

Weather was nice last night though -this is about 3:30am (this morning), shorts, tank top and going into the surf to wrangle to shark - I so hope the weather holds.

Attached Files:

4. Albacrazy

Albacrazy Well-Known Member

Right on! Looks like a blast!

5. Torrn

Torrn Well-Known Member

Wow...If it's 3:30 am and I'm wading into the ocean wearing shorts and a T-shirt, looking for a shark, you can bet I'm fast asleep and dreaming!
    Thanks for the report. How do you prepare those sharks? BBQ? Shark Tail soup?

6. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

7. OZ

OZ Well-Known Member

looks like u guys had a blast. need to go and try this soon.

8. Sinker

I don't do much shark fishing anymore as they are usually 6' + many 8' ones when fishing this location and I just am not up to the long battles and walks down the beach in the dark not to mention I am usually alone.

So I do this when friends and family come out and they want to catch something big that puts up a fight. I think I have more fun helping them get hooked up and then watch them battle more than I enjoyed doing it anyway.

This type shark does not get to big and is considered good table fair but we took some pics and threw it back into the ocean. Quickly bled then milk bath and broiled or BBQ'd is good.

As for walking out into the ocean in the dark to wrangle a shark, well usually bringing them in isn't to bad as we rope their tail and drag them up it is the release of the large ones that gets tricky. I added that in just to mention how nice the weather has been of late.

Any of you come out and we can give it a shot if the time of year is right. Had a 11' Hammerhead, 9' Tiger, 8 Bull and 8' Lemon Sharks caught their the next night from the reports I heard. Wish we had landed one of those.

9. togman

togman Well-Known Member

Very nice, will have to give that a shot sometime.

10. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

Nice Tim! Damn

11. Sinker

Need to get back out and fill the freezer with bait again...

12. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

Tim, thanx for sharing your nephew looks like he had died and gone to heaven smile from ear to ear....glad ya'll had a blast!