Shimano Scimitar Fishing Rods

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Sinker, December 20, 2004.

1. Sinker

Lets Talk Rods - Noticed the boards are kinda slow so figured I would put up a few posts.

Have you guys seen the Shimano Scimitar fishing rods?

I am amazed at the quality of these rods for their small price tag.
    I have:
    1ea – SMS-66M, 6’6â€, 6-14lb, Medium, Fast Action
    2ea - SMS-66MH, 6’6â€, 8-17lb, Medium Heavy, Fast Action
    2ea – SMS-70MH, 7’0â€, 10-20lb, Medium Heavy, Fast Action

I use these rods for throwing lures while flats fishing and have been very impressed with them and just can’t get over the quality for price – Talk about a BANG for the BUCK.

Although these rods are considered Freshwater Rods I have not had a problem with them holding up to the saltwater. They are made with a graphite composite blank, aluminum oxide guides and cork handle. Comes with a hook keeper and 1 year limited warranty.

[​IMG]

Any of you guys have these rods in your arsenal????

Next I will try out the Shimano Teramar In-Shore Series Rod. Although it is a big jump in price so is the rod in performance but still if short on cash the Shimano Scimitar should not be overlooked.

2. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

IVE PLAYED WITH THESE RODS AT SPORTMART, THE QUALITY IS THERE.....AFTER ALL THEY CARRY THE SHIMANO NAME....I AGREE TIM THEY ARE A GREAT BARGAIN, AND THEY LOOK NICE TOO...
    </font>EARLIER THIS TEAR WHEN I WAS LOOKING FOR ANOTHER TROUT ROD THIS WAS THE FIRST ROD I PICKED UP, BUT I WAS WILLING TO SPEND A LITTLE MORE SO I GOT A CLARUS......BUT, IF MONEY WAS AN ISSUE I WOULD HAVE GOT THE SCIMITAR, NICE RODS</font>

3. Sinker

I too had a Clarus but was not overly impressed with it. I have found that I have a personal like for certain rod actions. Even though they are rated the same in Power - Medium Heavy with a Action of Fast they are not all the same by any means. I do indeed prefer Fast Action rods and prefer Medium Heavy to Heavy rods and will occasionally go with a Medium rod with a Fast action.

The Clarus rod just didn't do it for me - NOT saying they are not good as they are a better rod than the Scimitar as far as materials go. Sue hope the Teramar isn't the same case as I would hate waste a $100.00. Twister made out though and got the Clarus Rod and he seems to like it. I also gave him a Quantum Saltwater series rod that he can skip lures like a pro up under the Mangroves.

Hmmm - hope the new ARC rod is gonna feel right...

4. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

YOUR RIGHT TIM ON THE ACTION OF THE CLARUS, THE REASON I GOT THE CLARUS IS I THROW 1/8 oz LURES AND SMALLER FOR TROUT, SO THE ACTION IS RIGHT FOR THESE LIGHT BAITS. AND I FEEL THEY ARE SENSITIVE ENOUGH TO FEEL LIGHT BITES.....I HEAR YOU ON THE FAST ACTION RODS I LOVE THEM TOO :D .....
    </font>I BROKE A ROD EARLIER THIS YEAR AT CACHUMA AND I HAVENT REPLACED IT YET, SO IT WILL GET REPLACED WITH THE SCIMITAR [​IMG] ...</font>I ALSO USE A 71/2 CLARUS FOR GRUBS AND SMALL HAMMERS IN THE SURF AND THE LIGHT TIP AND THE ACTION WORK OUT WELL FOR THOSE LIGHT BITES ON THE GRUBS...
    </font>THOSE SCIMITARS THAT YOU HAVE I HAVENT SEEN THE HEAVIER ACTIONS IN OUR LOCAL STORES HERE IN CALI... [​IMG] </font>

5. Gordo Grande

Gordo Grande Well-Known Member

I saw some terramars at Purefield's Pro Tackle for the first time the other day. They were very impressive.

6. TonyPltnmHook

TonyPltnmHook Banned

I have a couple of older SCIMITAR spinning rods (about 6-7 yrs old) UL Trout rods to be exact (about 6 of 'em) and that's all I would fish until I wanted to get out of a massive production rod and go with a smaller company production/ custom rod for my Trout, Steelhead, and Salmon applications. I went with a very high end rod manufacturer out of New York State called Damon Rods. I love 'em more than any other fresshwater spinning rods I've ever fished; they're incredible...the quality is phenomenal. They're expensive but not unaffordable.

7. Rovingarcher

Rovingarcher New Member

I have used a scimitar 8-6"for many Salmon fishing trips.Never a problem, and super rod.This week I had my first problem, and don't get me wrong, I by no means am puting down these rods.I was casting a 1.5 oz banana sinker and a Brads superbait, and the pole snapped in two,16" from the cork.I was lucky as I broke the tip on another scmitar, so I had an extra bottom.I like these poles so much, I just purchased two on Amazon for 19.99 each.GR

8. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

I saw Dinventura's Clarus last month when he met me for a surf fish session and was
    thinking about one. This is great info from some of the best fishermen out there!!!
    Thanks guys, I think I'll try that scimitar 8-6 as money is an issue for a guy with 3 young
    un's that now eat everything and want everything (In 3's of course.LOL)

9. JR12

JR12 Well-Known Member

rods

nice rods if i did not have all loomis these are the ones i would buy but too late i have all loomis rods with shimano reels

10. JR12

JR12 Well-Known Member

put them with a shimano sahara 2500 for surf fishing with 10lbs test and 4lb leeder on carolina rig you will nail them my 2 cents:rockon:

11. Kauai_Kanseah

Kauai_Kanseah Well-Known Member

I have used a wide range of Schimitar rods, ultra light to the 8'6 models, from catching trout , Tucanary, Largemouth Bass, Papio,and other Salt water species out here on Kauai. I get Loomis, Outkast, All Star Blanks, yet all around, I use the schimitars for catchin the little ones, in order to catch the much larger fish out here, I use them for live bait. Did land a 10lb Aku with my 8'6, Aku is what you in the mainland refer to as Bonita. Overall a pretty good rod for under 100 bucks compared to the others

12. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

tim send me 2 for x-mas!!!!!!