Shimano TLD30 2 Speed

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by yellowtail310, July 2, 2009.

1. yellowtail310

yellowtail310 Member

Anyone who has fished one can you please give me your input. Pros and Cons. Thank you very much!!!

2. dragonfeathers

dragonfeathers Well-Known Member

I use tld 30 II for trolling. Excellent drags, very smooth. great for marlin fishing and bigger fish. Close to impossible to cast but like I say I use them for trolling. Also a good reel for dropper loop yellowtail fishing at the lupe.

I have had some problems with drags sticking occasionally but my reels have been workinghard as I run a charter boat. a quick service gets them back in shape

3. Joey805

Administrator

I have seen the reel seats on them snap off under heavy pressure on big fish...

4. yellowtail310

yellowtail310 Member

5. DickCrowe

DickCrowe Active Member

I know that this is an old posting but, I thought that I would add this tidbit...

I just purchased a 30 TLD 2-speed and am having he bearings replaced by Ken's Reel Service in Oceanside, CA Harbor. Ken assures me that this will improve the castability of the reel... Of course, I won't have a baseline against which to measure the improvement...

6. wils

wils Well-Known Member

As previously posted about 4 years ago, that reel was never meant to be cast more than a few feet just to get a lively bait started a few feet from the boat. Nothing has change since then. Improvement of castability in this case is like comparing bare shin bumping the coffee table to sock-covered shin bumping the coffee table. Yes, the sock now makes it hurt 1% less.

7. skipjack

skipjack Well-Known Member

It's a nice cheeper two speed reel.I can cast them ok. The bearings should make a noticeable difference. I've caught some nice thresher sharks on one.