Skunked again with big hammers

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Pier, Jetty & Harbor Report' started by newfish123, Aug 13, 2015.

1. newfish123

newfish123 Active Member

Fishes today from 230-315 ish. I fished the short jetty at the enterance to Ventura harbor. Kind of across from Channel Islands museum. I lost 2 big hammer swimbaits in about 5 casts. I have never caught a fish using BH. What am o doing wrong? Seemed like every cast I was getting snagged and eventually lost my lure. Tips? Advice? I let it sink to the bottom and also drag along the rocks but I always seem to et snagged.

2. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

I let them hit the bottom but I then pull them off and run a slow retrieve. If they snag at all I pick up the retrieve rate to keep them as close to but off the bottom. If the Hali's are hungry, they will make the effort to go after them.

Another thing I do is let them hit bottom then pull them up fast bring them to me a few feet real fast and then let them hit bottom again. Bouncing for lack of a better term. I have yet to get a legal out of there but I have hit a few fun fighters.

3. GoletaLocal

GoletaLocal Member

I've never had much luck on the BH's. Sounds like the bottom around the jetty is rocky. Try casting out from the jetty, If you're still getting snagged I'd keep moving to try and find a sandy bottom. If you're going for Halibut, I would HIGHLY recommend trying a drop shot rig. I've never caught a Hali on a swimbait, pretty much everything besides it(Gulp sandworm, krocodile, Luckycraft.) The Berkeley Gulp Jerkshads work extremely well when jigged on the bottom extremely slow in a pause and go retrieve. If you went out to the jetty in the morning or at sunset and didn't pick up at least a few shorts I would be surprised.

4. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

What size Big Hammer are you using? The reason I ask, is that if you are using a 6 incher, you are targeting the bigger fish which may or may not be present where you are looking. Sure, the smaller fish will take a big lure but usually the bait should match your target fish. If you are looking for Halibut, well good luck and keep putting your time in.

To not get snagged, keep your lure out of "snaggy" situations.... You can also try a snagless leadhead. These have some bristles in the hook gap to prevent some snags.

I am not a big harbor fisherman, but the Big Hammers are my go to lure for island Calico kelp fishing.

5. SnickSnack72

SnickSnack72 Well-Known Member

I use 3 inch with a 1/4 ounce head. I will bounce em popping them once they hit the bottom. On sandy bottoms I will just burn em through the sand letting them stop for the fish to catch up to. Lucky Craft flash minnow works good for halibut when they are up in the shallows spawning. red rum, pacific mackerel CI chovy, andHalloween always worked for me.

6. GRUMPKILLER

GRUMPKILLER Well-Known Member

Keep at it! Persistence pays off at the end! Try 3in plastics with flakes in them with different weight leadheads! Also try to fish when theres water movement! That's worked for me in the past! Good luck!!!!

7. newfish123

newfish123 Active Member

3 inch

8. Nardo

Nardo Well-Known Member

Stay with it! Halibut, calico, cbass, grass bass, cabbies....

3" Redrum, Sexy Smelt, and Blue Shad on 1/4 or 3/8oz heads.

Try the swimming beach on the south side of the Ventura Harbor, up against the jetty. Good halibut spot.

9. newfish123

newfish123 Active Member

Are you talking about the small beach that launches the canoes and kayaks?