smoked yellowtail

Discussion in 'The Recipe Board' started by edskii, Dec 26, 2007.

1. edskii

edskii Well-Known Member

I have heard that the rib/belly meat of yellowtail is best smoked. What is the best combo of chips and heat source for this. Any seasonings? How would it be to smoke along with salmon using cedar?

2. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

The yellowtail steaks are good to smoke as well...I use a blend of soy sauce 2 cups, vinegar 1 cup, black pepper, crushed garlic, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 bayleafs, 1/2 cup 7up, for the marinade.........soaked 1 hour to overnight....using hickory chips....I don't smoke any longer than 3 hours...to make a spicy sweet batch 1 hour before removing I mix red pepper flakes in some honey and I brush this on a few pieces.........ummmmmmm soooooo gooooooood!

3. Big-D

Big-D Well-Known Member

Hey Joe, at what temp in the smoker????????????????????????????

Big-D and the Dog

4. sourcreamnjive

I only do for a short time so med-hi on the heat... I don't have a gage on mine....

5. wodar1

wodar1 Well-Known Member

Ed, I do mine on my Big Green Egg using Alder wood for smoke at 225 deg. Depending on the size of the fillets they usually take a couple of hours.

6. sourcreamnjive

Tor, what's a big green egg?

7. wodar1

wodar1 Well-Known Member

It is a ceramic grill/smoker that they have been using in Japan for a very long time. They have had them in this country since right after WWII. Big Green Egg is a brand name, there are other companies that make them, but the eggs are the best by far. A guy gave me one because he didn't like it, I played with it for a while and now I don't know how I survived without one. You have to use "lump" charcoal not briquettes. You can dial in the exact temperature you want and it will hold it. When I smoke pork butts (pork shoulder roasts) to make pulled pork I set it at 250 for 18-20 hours on one batch of charcoal!! Here are a couple of links, be careful its addicting.

Big Green Egg, World's Best Smoker and Grill

The Big Green Egg Users Forum

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  8. sourcreamnjive

Thanx!

9. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator Staff Member

Hey Tor, How much do those smokers cost? I want one!

10. matmetician

matmetician Well-Known Member

11. edskii

edskii Well-Known Member

Those Eggs are the best I have ever used. Turkey, Chicken, Ribs, Shoulders. You can do it all because they're large. Thanks for tips for the YT guys. I braised up some fresh YT steaks last night with a large fresh caught lobster tail for my wife and I. Surf & Surf!! YUMMMMMY

12. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

Matt way to step up. Joe thanks for the reciept, can tequila be added? Ed, sound's like a great dinner you served. Just don't use buffalo chips, just my 2cents. :)

13. wodar1

wodar1 Well-Known Member

Hey Joey,

Here's your local dealer. Go take a look at them.

Stuart's Barbeque & Fireplace
    1700 East Ventura Boulevard Ste. D
    Oxnard CA US 93036

14. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator Staff Member

If you plan on eating the meat right away one thing to remember is if you want more smoke to penetrate your meat you shouldn't use any thing on the meat to start with that will cause the meat to shrink or close fibers. Stay away from salts and other constrictors so putting sauces it ahead of time isn't a good idea. All so fats in the souses can absorb more smoke oils and it won't hit the meat but end up on your fingers/ plates serving trays etc... just be aware that your time spent can be lost where you don't want it.

If you plan on keeping the meat for sometime or unrefrigerated after smoking then you have to salt brine to keep bacteria from destroying your work.

Fish: I smoke low temps from 120 to 150 degrees till the meat starts to firm up then I add what ever sauces I want and let the meat set from there. Unless I plan on drying out the meat so it will last longer then I add nothing and salt brine to start.

Beef: I use citrus to marinade as it breaks up the fibers and will allow more smoke to penetrate. Tri tip I use the juice from 2 oranges w/ either 2 or 3 limes or 1 lemon for each tri tip I am going to smoke. 175 to 200 degrees for 2 hours then move the meat over open flame to finish cooking and add sauce to caramelize.

Pork Tor hit it right on the nose I do the same thing.

Poultry I need more work so say anything LOL!!.

Sausages etc I skin them then use the same cold smoke as fish.

All smoking done on Mesquite wood or citrus wood and only add hickory at the end of the smoke. The oils in hickory are strong and can over power if your not careful.

Again this is just me so you need to play around and find out what works for you.

15. edskii

edskii Well-Known Member

Drew, what smoker do you use?

16. beacondawg

A Bong!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

17. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator Staff Member

I am NOT 420 friendly just for the record thank you!;) Don't worry I know you were kidding.

No I have a Char-broil silver smoker. I have used boxes, clay pots, old refrigerators (4 turkeys at once LOL) both electric and charcoal you name it. Right now with the area I have I need one I could BBQ in as well as smoke and this type was the best for me. I think for straight smokers though that the bullet types are best. A straight rise from the smoke keeps it from stagnating and gives a better all around even smoke. All though much harder to maintain a constant heat I like charcoal better then electric but electric is MUCH easier to keep a constant smoke and temp on.

Attached Files:

18. beacondawg

yes I was my brada.

19. supereri

supereri Member

Big green egg is the best thing since sliced bread. My wife almost refused to let me get one. About a month after getting it she wanted a second one so we could cook side dishes and such. I use mine for long low and slows with a computer controlled fan to regulate temps. I have done 24 hour cooks of pork shoulders without running out of charcoal.

http://rocksbarbque.com/Systems.html

20. sourcreamnjive

Looks like I'll have to invest in one........all's I have is an electric one a friend gave me for my birthday 3 or 4 years ago.