Spinning reel for ocean fishing?

Discussion in 'Tackle 101' started by SCsurfin21, Jun 5, 2015.

1. SCsurfin21

SCsurfin21 Member

Went out on the Gentleman a couple weeks back and had a great time. Got to break in my new setup and get some fish on the boat. Most people were using conventional reels or rented reels, but a few guys were using larger sized spinning reels. Is this common? I have a Penn Battle 6000 I use for surf fishing, but never thought to bring it out with me on the party boats.

Does anyone use a spinning reel and what are they good for? What would be a good rod to pair with this Battle 6000 I have that would compliment my other setup. I currently use an Avet MXJ MC single speed and Calstar 800M with 40# braid and 25# mono top shot.

Thanks for the help guys! I hope the Yellows and WSB take off again like last year. Charters have been mostly seeing rockfish.

2. Joey805

Administrator

I would stay away from the spinning reels on the sport boats unless throwing topwater tuna poppers. You just don't have the leverage to pull on a fish as hard with them, or the drag. Plus you are more prone to line twists with spinning gear.

3. Carnivore

What Joey said. I used a spinning reel for years because I never learned to cast with a conventional reel. Once I took the time and learned, I never went back. I have 6 spinning reels that I haven't touched other then to mover them in 10 years. I still use small spinners for trout and the lake but that is it.

4. SCsurfin21

SCsurfin21 Member

That's what I figured. I use spinning reels almost exclusively at the lakes or creeks I go to. It just threw me off seeing guys with them on a party boat. I'll just keep using it for the surf. Thanks guys!

5. walkerman

walkerman Well-Known Member

I think that there are valid uses for spinning gear. I remember times fishing for calicos on party boats. Sometimes, they would only bite on the smallest curlly tails, on the smallest lead heads. Only way to get those out to the fish was to use spinning gear. Sometimes, when fishing for BFT, only the smallest chovies on the lightest line would get hit. Again, spinning tackle was a very good way to go. Moreover, spinning tackle for saltwater has made huge strides in recent years. You can catch really big fish on that gear with the right technique.

6. buddha23

buddha23 Well-Known Member

if you want a cheap rod ugly stick tiger rod or if you want a better one seeker mgc rod or shimano trez is a very good rod

7. Carnivore

One of the most prolific catchers on a party boat I was on years ago not only was using a spinning reel, he was using a convention rod with it and it was missing 2 guides, one being the tip. Everyone laughed until he ran the boat with that dorky setup and caught most of the fish on the trip.

You just never know.

8. JR12

JR12 Well-Known Member

spinning rig good for surf I have a loomis hr9000s with a shimano symetre 2500 great on surf for perch and stuff because most fish are only 5yards away and spinning is easier for short casting I think :rockon:

9. rpcrowe

rpcrowe Member

I have a Calcutta 400 (no level wind) mounted on a Lamiglas 8-foot "Hookem" rod with micro roller guides. Using 15# to 20# test monofilament, I can cast a pinhead chovy (plus a small splitshot) as far as most guys can with a spinning rod.

I have beaten YT up to 20 or so pounds with this outfit.

10. havoc1114

havoc1114 Well-Known Member

i have a shimano soccoro 6000 with a drag washer mod and i pull 28pounds of drag stock they come 22lbs, then i have a basspro catmaxx that pulls over 30 lbs of drag. When it comes down to it , i have mre drag than some conventionals the mxj at full only has 14 pounds of drag the jx at full only has 20. Sooooo hahahaha
    Spinning reels are under rated in most peoples eyes, but conventional has more line capacity