Spitfire 11/19/12

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater In-Shore Reports' started by tunafreak, November 19, 2012.

1. tunafreak

tunafreak Well-Known Member

So today I got to go out on the spitfire on a 3/4 day trip. Got up around 4:30 and made my way down there with no traffic issues to deal with. Boarded up around 6:15 and got underway soon after. We only had 10 people on the boat. After picking up some live squid from the receivers, we headed out. We only used live squid and had no live fin bait( and thats not a bad thing:))

The morning hours were slow and we only go a few rockfish or mostly short lingcod and each stop. Part of this was because of all the bait in the bay. Eventually we took a break from that to try for some sculpin, which we got limits of in a short timeframe. After that we went back on the rockfish hunt to see if we could find any that wanted to bite( at least bite better than they had in the early morning) We were successful, and the last few stops had great rock fishing, on with some sheepshead and many short lingcod( only one legal was caught, but over 20 shorts must have been caught, including three or four by me).

Speaking of me, my final count was limits of rockfish( kept nine with some released), limits of sculpin( others released), and a sheap head, including a huge red rockfish, which is my 1st or second biggest ever! It was about 5-6 pounds over twenty inches long!! I also caught many short lings and sculpin, which means I got over 20-25 fish for the day including releases. All the fish were caught on a drooper loop rig with Spetra, which I tried for the first time this trip. I loved how sensitive it was even at the depths we were fishing(180-240ish).

As for the rest of the boat, I think the final count for the day for the boat was 85 rockfish, 50 sculpin, and 20 sheap head along with a ling for ten people. The jackpot was a large sheap head. My red rockfish was not far behind it.

Anyway, it was a great trip. The captain and crew were great and I would gladly go on the boat again. The fishing of course was also a blast. The following pic is my final tally.

Attached Files:

2. cappo5150

cappo5150 Well-Known Member

Nice job. Spitfire is one of my fav. local boats.

3. Torrn

Torrn Well-Known Member

Fun day and a Big Ol' Red! That works

4. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Well-Known Member

gotta love the spitfire

5. MoMo Fish

MoMo Fish Well-Known Member

same here. Like the crew and boat