Surf Fishing in Ventura County – New Guy w/Dumb Questions

Discussion in 'West Coast' started by Jebfour, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Jebfour

Jebfour Member

Hello everyone! I’ve gone over your site and it seems like a genuinely nice group of people here. I normally don’t like putting up posts like this but from what I’ve read everyone seems so friendly I thought I’d give it a shot.

I fished quite a bit as a kid with my Dad and once a year my family trout fishes at either Mammoth or in the Tahoe area. I think I’d like to get back into it a bit more as the Pacific Ocean is 15 minutes from the house!

Let me begin with saying that I don’t know that much about fresh water fishing and know absolutely zip, nada, nothing about salt water fishing. Since I don’t have a boat, I thought surf fishing would be a lot of fun and hey, I may even bring home something for dinner!

I went to the local angler’s shop and talked to the person there (seemed like a nice guy) and he suggested going fishing for surf perch. After talking to him he suggested a rod in the 7’0” neighborhood. I had a few rods in the garage so I’d like to use what I have to get started. This is what I have that is “close” and wouldn’t mind using in saltwater (both are in very good shape):

- 6’6” Shakespeare Alpha with M-Action
    -
    6’0” Shakespeare Ugly Stick with M-Action

Would either of these do the job? I need to keep the costs down for a bit. I’d buy a reel from the local shop and have him put line on it. He mentioned that he had a Shimano for about 50 or so…

Here are even MORE new-guy questions:

- What should I have as a “starter kit” so to speak for tackle, etc.? Perhaps there is a “how-to” on the web so to speak that I haven’t found?

-
    Being that I’m in Camarillo I can go up to Ventura or down to Malibu (don’t want to go too far from home). I’m not looking for anyone’s secret spot, but if someone could give me a couple hints as to where to give this a try I’d really appreciate it.

Any links or responses are very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

John

2. eDUBz

eDUBz Well-Known Member

Big hammer perch grubs motor oil red flake on a Carolina setup 1/2 Oz egg sinker with #6 or #8 baitholder hook with 8 lbs line. GULP! sandworms also work great for perch on the Carolina setup. Forgot to mention that the shimano Sedona 2500 size reel is veryy popular surf fishing reel that you find for about $50 bucks.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    #2 eDUBz, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  3. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

Welcome to the site. There is a ton of great info in our tips and tricks section. The link is at the top but you can see it HEREjust to speed things up for ya. In my signature there are some good spots and what to look for at the various harbors. Past that just ask questions, we are here to help. Again thanks for joining up.

4. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator

I personally use a 9' Shimano Clarus steelhead rod for perch fishing with a shimano sedona 2500 and 10# powerpro braid. Carolina rigged berkley gulp camo sand worms with a 1/2oz sliding sinker. Cast it out and reel it in slowly. Keep walking the beach until you find the fish. I like fishing 5th street in Oxnard, Santa Claus Lane up by Santa Barbara and also a few spots down in Malibu. I like to start fishing about an hour or so before a high tide.

5. Jebfour

Jebfour Member

Thank you to everyone for the info and help!

6. Nardo

Nardo Well-Known Member

I perfer a 7'6"-8'0" rod rated 6-12lb (or 8-15lb) and a 2500 or 3000 size spinning reel.

Once you master the perch grub on the Carolina rig, you can add a few 3" Big Hammer on 1/4oz heads and a couple ripbaits to the mix. But that's Surf Fishing 201 and 301. With perch fishing, location and technique is often more important than lure selection.

La Conchita and Rincon Beach can also be productive but 5th Street is a good place to start and it's closer to home for you.

Perch spawn in Dec-March so that's when we get the bigger females. Super fun to catch but selective harvest is encouraged at that time of the year. The big females are literally ready to pop!

7. Jebfour

Jebfour Member

I had that 6'6" rod (which I'm sure is a bit short, but I had it) that I'll use to get started, and picked up a Shimano 2500 reel this morning. The local fishing shop was very helpful getting things set up for me (again, I'm new at this!).

Next weekend I'll "get my feet wet"! Thanks for the replies!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    #7 Jebfour, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015