Surf Fishing Shark Set up

Discussion in 'Gulf Coast' started by Sharker66, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Sharker66

Sharker66 Member

Hey All - turning my attention to the sea, finally after 30 yrs of FW fishing. I'm look at the shark set up below for surf fishing and I'd love your opinions on. My fishing will be at night mostly, or early mornings. FL panhandle area. Sharks range from 2'-8', mostly sandbar, black tips and bulls. I know that that there are no doubt endless configurations, but this one seems economical, practical, and tuff enuff to get the job done. And fish off of a boat or pier during the day as well. Look forward to your opinions.

Penn 950SSm reel
    Ugly Stik Big water 7' 1-piece MH rod
    80-100# power pro braid, 400-500 yds
    6' leader of 49 strand AFW cable, 480#
    400# BB swivel between braid and leader, crimped to cable, 2x palomar knot to braid
    Double 10/0 Mustad Sea Demon hooks, crimped on to cable

Tight Lines!

Sharker66

2. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

welcome john,you'll get alot of help here.

3. Sharker66

Sharker66 Member

Thanks Beacondawg. Lookin' forward to it.

4. Troutdickenum

Troutdickenum Well-Known Member

what type of sharks and how big???

5. Sharker66

Sharker66 Member

Trout - it was in there....2'-8', mostly sandbar, blacktip and bulls. Thanks!

JG

6. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

The reel is the only thing bothering me. I haven't done any homework on this so if you have an it looks like it has the basket balls to handle the job then it is worth a try. I have never fought big sharks from the surf but from the boat in convention reels I look for more beefy set ups then this. Good luck an post pics. Welcome to GetBent.

7. Sharker66

Sharker66 Member

Thanks Carnivore. Yea, getting a conventional is probably the beefier way to go for sure, but not having any experience with them, plus doing mostly night fishing, I'd hate to be cutting out birdsnests from my reel all night instead of catching sharks and of course whatever else may be interested in my bait. There's some good ole blues, stripers, ladyfish, sailcats and rays there quite often as well.

The 950SSm supposedly has about 22 lbs of drag on it, and with the right technique from the shore when hooked up, do you think 22lbs drag will do it if I hook into an 8 footer? We caught a 5 footer (bull) on a lighter setup about a month ago, so I'm sure hoping this'll do it better.

8. Sharker66

Sharker66 Member

By the way - in case any of you guys haven't heard of this site....check it out. BEST knot tying instruction (with real video, not animation) I've ever found. Over 70 knots.

www.videofishingknots.com

9. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

ya that is a good site for those "novice" fisherman. I myself an an expert so no NEED to see those video hehehe. Yes I am just joking.

Well remember about drag, I got 44 pounds out of a jig master 500 but I doubt it would last long with a steady pull. At 1/4 the line weight 22 would do the job on 80 pound line but if you run 100# it isn't enough for the minimum, not to mention what if you need more an want to push the line. The last sharks I got were in the 5' to 7' range an it worked my Penn 114 REALLY hard. The 10' hammer I got damn near over heated it an Joey started chasing the shark to get some line.

I have never done it from the surf nor have I caught the species you listed but I can't imagine they are less of a fighter then a blue or hammer head. Worst thing would be to fry the reel an loose your line but that is still come money down the drain.

10. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

11. Lops

Lops Well-Known Member

I know I might overkilll a little, but personally, like to try and get my line rating close to the line rating on my rod...
    100# on an ugly stick bigwater MH.. isnt that like 20-40 lb rod?
    which model is it?