Tanker C-bass, yellow tail and bonito

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater In-Shore Reports' started by jmoore, October 4, 2014.

1. jmoore

jmoore Well-Known Member

Well I got a report that the c-bass were on the bite and with the weather so spectacular I decided to make an over night run up the coast. Called a few of my fishing partners and all were unable to go until my good friend Adam called me back late Tue night. He was on his way back from Loreto. He had lost a good fishing friend last year :sad: and they had gone to spread his ashes. Adam said I am off work the rest of the week,let me get home and check in with the wife and I'll call back. He called back and said lets do it! He needed a little time the next day to put things together so I said lets fish Thurs. Well he called around noon and said I can be ready in an hour so we load up the boat and pulled it to the harbor. Launched about 5PM and made the run up the coast. Pulled into a nice cove and put out the anchor for the night. My friend calls and they just got back in and said the bite started just after sundown and was mostly a night bite. We were already on the hook and festivities had already begun so we stayed on anchor in our spot even though we could see the lights of the boats on the spot a little further up the coast. Got up at O dark thirty and headed up to the spot. Lots of birds, seals and life. Bait was a little sparse on the meter and we had a very tough time catching squid. We only caught two 4 in. squid. We had some frozen squid so thats what we had to use. I got picked up right away but the hook pulled.:sad: Threw an iron out and got picked up but it came unbuttoned also.:mad: Other boats with better bait were getting bit until about 0900 and then things went flat. Bait gone, birds gone, seals gone. We fished hard all day for only two sharks and were feeling down. So knowing that it was a night bite and the fact that we had plenty of food and drink we made the calls to the wives to let them know we were going to stay another night. About 5pm the birds are back and we start catching squid one at a time. We fished our butts off for bait and made a couple dozen pieces mostly tiny squid. Better than nothing. Then at sundown the meter lights up with bait and fish. Put the hook down on the grounds and put out the fresh baits. Bam we are on nice school size c-bass then another school size c-bass. Then a big bonito.My friend hooks up another fish and we can tell its a nicer model. It takes him around the boat and finally comes up in the lights next to the boat. It looked like a submarine swimming by.:eye popping: Sunk in the gaff and about busted a gut pulling it over the side. Our personal best at 70 lb.+ We now what do we do the fish will not fit in the cooler and its about 75 deg. at 9300 pm. We put the fish and all the ice we had on it but the cooler lid will not close so we cover the fish with a wet towel and put the throwable cushions over the fish to insulate the fish as best we could. Now its 10 pm and we have no room in the cooler so we call it for the night. Got up Fri. morn at grey light and figured to give it one more shot. we will just put the fish in the bait tank on the way home right? Right away we are on with another c-bass the a couple of big bonito. Then Adam hooks up on another nice fish. We can tell its a nice one but its not fighting like a c-bass. Get the fish to gaff and its a nice yellow.:D Well its only 0730 and the heat is coming on so with no more room and melting ice we left the fleet with the fish biting. Ended the trip with 4 c-bass, 3 big bonito and the yellow. My friend Adam caught both the tanker c-bass and the yellow and I told him that his friend he lost last year was looking down on him this trip for sure. Great trip great fishing life is good.

Attached Files:

2. HOOCHIE-P

HOOCHIE-P Well-Known Member

Awesome John!! Thats some pro fishing right there...congrats. Gotta get a bigger cooler :)

3. catchofthemonth

That seabass is a fricken monster.... way to go guys!

4. thatsharkguy

thatsharkguy Well-Known Member

Nice bass, it looks grotesquely fat. Awesome work.

5. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

That kinda fishin needs to be on the front page of the news paper. Those are some big fish and good news

6. SnickSnack72

SnickSnack72 Well-Known Member

7. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

good job brada

8. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

FRUCKIN AWESOME

9. fishingbeast

fishingbeast Well-Known Member

That one heck of fishing there guys. Very nice job!