The Delta 10/17

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by stubbs, Oct 17, 2010.

1. stubbs

stubbs Well-Known Member

I've been pretty busy at work so have had practically zero fishing time in the last couple months. Finally I get a free weekend and guess what....they are predicting rain, though its only 30%. The plan was to head out on Saturday with the yak....Well that failed since I had initially thought the SC game against Cal was at 5pm and found out on Friday it was a 12:30 game. So after watching SC play a complete game....I opted to head out Sunday with that "measly" 30% chance of rain.

Woke up Sunday and peaked outside...overcast with a slight breeze....thought for a minute and said screw it I'm going....Load up the car and head out to the Delta. I decided to try a new location near Big Break. Was googling and found this park with about a little walk to a fishing pier and I could scoot the yak in. I drive out there and find well the park is closed for renovations....aw crap....I did know there is the Big Break marina just up the way. So I drive up and stop by...I talk to the guy and they charge $10 to launch....whether its a 40 fter or a float tube...its $10....well since I've come this far I pay the $10 to launch. Not a bad launch but just like Ventura Harbor....the ramp was slippery...

Getting ready to launch
    [​IMG]

A view out to Big break (I guess it was farmlands before they flooded it when they created the Delta)
    [​IMG]

I start to head out to the opening and you can see all the remnants of old docks and boats lining the shoreline.
    [​IMG]

I fished all along the way without a bite. One thing I noticed about the Delta is that there is a ton of hydrilla...Something I need to be better about fishing now.

Paddled around and pretty much tried to stay protected from the wind.
    [​IMG]

After working the outside weed lines I decided to move into the thick stuff and try punching in the mats as well as tossing a frog in the stuff as well.
    [​IMG]

I would pretty much paddle in as far as I could and found that I could stay put without having the wind blow me too fast. I was fishing a frog back in there and had one fish attack it...I did the ultimate no-no and set the hook with what I saw vs waiting till I felt the bite....Oh well.

I worked the frog for a bit more before heading back to the marina to check out the numerous docks.
    [​IMG]

As I was getting back to the dock area the wind came and then it started to sprinkle. No problem and I continued to fish around the docks swimming a jig....Then the rain came harder...and harder...I'm thinking nice "30%" chance of rain here. Now I'm getting cold so do the typical last cast. I get the bait within about 5 feet of my yak and see a fish swirl on it. Toss back to the spot and game on....I bring in little LMB about a pound. Next cast I lose the jig....and figures I only had brought one with me. I switched up to a spinnerbait and ended up getting 3 more fish (biggest being about a pound and half) before I'm freezing and head in. Looks like the rain turned on the bite. Sorry couldn't get any fish pics due to not wanting to take the camera out in the rain.

Came back in and loaded up and cranked the heater on for the drive home...reminded me of those nights hooping when the temps dropped. It was wet and cold...but still a fun time on the water!

I primarily used two rigs throughout the day. I was punching and frogging with a Revo S spooled with 65 lb braid and on a 7'6" H Carrot Stix. For the swim jigs and spinner bait it was a Dobyns 705cb and an Curado 200E with 15 lb mono.

Here's what worked for me...Same swim jig as the one I lost with a BH 4" trailer and the spinner bait. Both are hand tied and from what I understand the bass on the Delta love red....

[​IMG]

#1 stubbs, Oct 17, 2010 at 10:05 PM
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  2. Albacrazy

Albacrazy Well-Known Member

Nice job. I used to fish the area around Tracy alot. A texas rigged 4" leech in red flake and pumpkin seed always killed em. Congrats.

3. creekster

creekster Well-Known Member

Double post...

#3 creekster, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:00 PM
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  4. creekster

Man Jeff, looks like there is some gnarly structure there.
    Btw, that 705CB, have you thrown any spook style baits with it?

I've been using a Powell Spook/Trap TW rod lately and it fishing really nice. But I'm always interested in other TopWater rods.

5. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

6. YakSailor

YakSailor Well-Known Member

Great story and nice links. Looks like a lot of good places to fish there. Will have to try that sometime.

I know how it is after a no-fish-lull in bad weather, especially after invoking plan B's... you get too anxious...setting the hook before the strike.

Glad that things turned out better toward the end.

7. stubbs

stubbs Well-Known Member

Danny,

Nope haven't thrown any spooks or sammys with the rod....I use a Crucial 70m for that, I think the 705CB is a little too much rod and you can't get the right action.

8. Albacrazy

Albacrazy Well-Known Member

You ever fished the Antioch pier for Sturgeon and Stripers? It can be pretty good there at times.

9. creekster

Thanks Jeff.....
    Good luck on the Delta. I've read so many good things about it.

10. ODH33

11. potto

potto Well-Known Member

Great pics Jeff. The place looks peaceful and relaxing.