Tiger Wrap Suggestions

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Tinslayer, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Tinslayer

Tinslayer Member

I have attempted and almost completed my first tiger wrap. The concept seems not too difficult but I've been struggling with a perfectly even top wrap. I believe one factor is because of the thread gap between both threads that's coming off the cartridge, as I've pinching both threads together before it gets wrapped on the rod. This works ok, but creates inconsistencies in the wrap and gets tiring when wrapping longer lengths.

What are your suggestions or techniques when you wrap two threads like this?

#1 Tinslayer, Jan 6, 2014 at 10:45 PM
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. Joey805

Administrator

3. Tinslayer

Tinslayer Member

I actually read that article on tigers before I attempted it. I am wondering if any wrapper has a suggestion on the method or special tool used to keep both threads right next to each other and to lay down perfectly, kind of like a candy cane.

4. Tinslayer

Tinslayer Member

Thank you Joey for the suggestion, as it is a great article with a lot of info.

5. Tinslayer

Tinslayer Member

Got it down after three attempts. It was user error. Wrapping in the opposite direction than I was used to, in addition to pinching two threads for a lengthy distance made it a pain. Had to cut it off three times, but finally got it right. That's wrapping sometimes!

6. Finadict

Finadict Well-Known Member

The best technique is practice, practice, practice! Pretty soon you will be zipping through them as fast as you would with a single thread. Back in the day, Flipper and I were cranking out dozens of tigers in a row without cross-threading or stopping to back up. Its all about practice!

7. king mustang

king mustang Well-Known Member