Tips for a noob in Ventura county

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Pier, Jetty & Harbor Report' started by Miklo805, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Miklo805

Miklo805 New Member

Hey guys! Just moved to the area in April and just started fishing Ventura pier. I've been throwing cut squid on a double drop rig from my cheap spinning rod. Went out Friday morning, caught and threw back 4 little white croakers and got my bait stole more than a couple times. Also been throwing a hoop net with some mackerel as bait with only one tiny crab to speak of. Any tips for a noob? How can I keep the little guys away and target bigger game? Any tips on using a hoop net? I grew up in Las Vegas and use to shore fish Lake Mead for catfish and stripers but I'm very new to saltwater.

2. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator

Welcome Chris,

Our season is winding down here and the water is cooling. When that happens, the bite also slows down as well. As of 12/31 the groundfish season closes for all the boats and then opens again on 3/1.

If you're looking to fish the surf from the sand, your best bet will be a carolina rig setup with a 1/2oz sliding sinker and some camo gulp sandworms made by Berkley. There are lots of perch to be caught but you'll need to walk the beaches until you find them. As far as from the pier, the action is much better in the spring and summer there when the water is warmer. I'd soak some squid and mackerel there. You'll most likely be catching rays, skates and sharks along with some smaller bait fish.

You may also want to consider jumping on a sport boat out of Ventura or Channel Islands harbor before the season closes, lots of good options for trips right now but again, things are winding down so don't expect lots of yellowtail, seabass and halibut like we normally see earlier in the season. Also check the weather before booking a trip as we are starting to see some winter storms. Wind is our worst enemy up here when fishing from the boats.

You can check all the fish counts each day here for all the landings: http://www.sportfishingreport.com/pages/docktotals.php

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    #2 Joey805, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

My tips for using a hoopnet from the ventura pier, pick up a dfg book and learn the regulations. Ventura pier does have some lobster but the last thing you want to do is take an undersized one or take one out of season.
    As far as from fishig off the pier, use a reel rod combo for 20-30lb test and fish a slider or trolley rig with either a squid or a fin bait as big as the 7/8 inch range. the pier is still producing sharks and rays so good luck out there.

4. Miklo805

Miklo805 New Member

Thanks guys! I do have a reg book and a crab/lobster gauge. I'm fishing on a budget so the last thing I need is a fine. I will definitely try a different rig next time, maybe some of those small bites that stole my bait weren't so small after all. Hopefully a rig change will lead to more hookups and less stolen bait. How do you guys cut your bait and hook it up? I've been cutting my frozen squid into chunks about an inch wide, pulling the hook through, 180 turn and let the bait rest on the tip of the hook. Bait has been coming up looking like its been sucked off.

5. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator

Also, don't forget that if you are targeting lobster that you will need a lobster punch card.

Kind of a weird regulation when fishing off a pier though since you don't need a license to fish off one, but I THINK you still need a punch card.

I'm not 100% on this though.

6. mullet13

mullet13 Active Member

Anyone fishing for lobster regardless of age or location NEEDS a lobster report card.

7. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

Tip number one - fish more places. Fishing the Ventura pier limits you to what is there, which is sometimes almost nothing. Surf fishing is a blast, you should try it.

Tip number two - cut your squid into long skinny strips. I usually tear the head off and cut the body into two to three long strips. The head sometimes attracts different fish too. I rig my strips by inserting the hook at the "top" of the strip, pulling the strip all the way over the eye of the hook and then hook again in the middle with the tip. This way it keeps its nice, free-flowing strip form.

Your bait should resemble something in the environment that the fish want to eat. If you bait looks like a blob ball, you will have scavengers (like croaker and rays) pick it up when the more desired fish won't take it.

8. SnickSnack72

SnickSnack72 Well-Known Member

stay away from the piers! Goleta is actually pretty good. Theres a pipeline with some good vegetation and structure. And it's placed on a river mouth. I've done well with halibut on the swimbait there. I hear they are fixing it though.... I would fish the shore for perch like Joey is sayin. Grubs, sandworms and 3 inch redrum BH swimbaits. you find the perch you can chase them all day and maybe get lucky with a beach going halibut! And you get a few hand size perch and they make a great taco! 5th street has always been good to me and off bates road in carp.