Topwater baits for stripers

Discussion in 'West Coast - Freshwater Reports' started by newfish123, Mar 3, 2015.

1. newfish123

newfish123 Active Member

What is you go for a top water lure for stripers at pyramid lake?

2. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

I dont know about the lake your fishing> i have been fishing tournament striper for a long time. I use a chug bug when they are boiling.you have to remember match the hatch!! when they first start coming up to feed here in lake mead they do what we call slurping.different then boiling. i hate typing so pm me and i will give you my number and talking is better then my old ass fingers typing.lol

3. Joey805

Administrator

Luckycraft Sammy, Zara Spooks and Ima Skimmers are my goto baits up there for topwater stripers.

For big baits during the trout plants, the wooden Lunker Punker is hard to beat.

#3 Joey805, Mar 3, 2015 at 11:12 PM
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  4. newfish123

newfish123 Active Member

thanks joey! what rod size and # test do you suggest? Not looking for a rod and reel that will break the bank. something under $100. I love ugly sticks so that's prob what I'll go with.

5. newfish123

newfish123 Active Member

And what color in these lures?

6. Joey805

Administrator

White and Ghost Minnow are my two favorite colors for stripers.

7. SnickSnack72

SnickSnack72 Well-Known Member

look up "katch" top water baits! They are all handmade and well worth the low price. I am finding up here that the wood gliders are SMOKING way more striped bass than the hard plastics. Go get yourself a graphite rod... Those fiberglass rods really affect you hook set with the flexibility. I use a 7'4" medium heavy rod for topwater. For frogging I throw 45+ pound braid, and depending on the topwater hard bait, I throw 35 LB braid. The braid floats on the top and keeps you from having a slight nose dive and when you set the hook, you get no water resistance from pulling your stretched line through the water. My favorite bite is a top water bite and we get TONS of them on the delta. I am hoping for a few tomorrow! I also throw zara spooks and BIG poppers. smithwick makes a decent propped top water, but I modify them with a new prop, hoks and O ring. Bass pro shops makes a decent rod for a decent price. I have probably 15 bionic blades and have only snapped one and it was punch shotting. I just bought a LEWS ABT combo for 80 bucks yesterday I am going to try out. I don't like to switch brands (BPS and ABU are my go to for rods), but have heard LEWS makes a decent rod and reel, so I went with one of their more inexpensive models. I also bought a pinnacle reel last month for $80 and its excellent

8. SnickSnack72

and I use a loop knot for my walking/gliding baits... You get an extra few inches out of the sway on the water

9. SnickSnack72

and I do have a couple lunker plunkers..... They are epic! Just super expensive, but they kick up a TON of water with the prop they have

10. SnickSnack72

Correction... I Use the whopper plopper, not the lunker plunker with the baddle

11. Joey805

Administrator

I usually throw topwater up there on a 7 foot fast action rod using 10# line.

12. SnickSnack72

Id love to throw 10 pound.... Nothing but broken off fish in the shallow delta with all the debris. and a 15 -30 lb stripey is pretty common here. I throw 10 lb brain with my poppers though. They dont pop as well with the bigger weight