Trophy 2052wa Windlass Install

Discussion in 'Boat Talk' started by phishy, Jan 14, 2007.

1. phishy

phishy Well-Known Member

The total time on this project was less then i think it took to compose this post. Uploading 5 pictures at a time is lame Joey..fix that will ya.;)
    I spent about 8 hours of labor on this. Burnt up a few evenings with lay out and prefab, and 5 hours on a Saturday to complete the install and button up the wiring.

Last month i Installed a 3rd house battery for the windlass, new fuse panel and isolator. I also installed two 20amp twist lock plugs in the back for the new downriggers of the 3rd battery. I ordered the windlass through Onlinemarine.com. They are a bunch of jerks there. Customer support sucked and it took 3 weeks to get any response regarding my order. Totally P.Oed i ordered again shortly after xmas with another vendor. Two weeks later i recieved my entire order. a Lewmar Pro 700 Windlass, 250' of rode with 15' of chain spliced, and a new 22 lb bruce style anchor. Communication was great and they did it up right.
    Total cost was $820 for everything.
    I went looking online and talked to a few people about this install and most said it wasnt possible for a boat my size, i didnt have the locker space for the rode..blah blah blah. After some very careful planning i couldnt find one good reason why not. I found the correct model and fit for my boat.
    The install couldnt have been easier. I did have one hang up. The windlass rested on my anchor locker door. I notched that out and problem fixed. I installed the largest peice of plywood i could fit underneath for backing along with a piece of 1/4 aluminum to back the plywood up. Nothing is pulling that sucker out.
    For the switch i used a piece of sheetmetal i painted black to match the switches and put it right in the dash. I decided to mount the circuit breaker right there for easy shut off and to reset if need be. I will give it a test run next weekend, but i gave it a few test runs in the driveway. The anchor locker has ample room with the suggested 12" of clearance for drop and i think i could even get 300' of rode in there.
    The one thing i didnt see comming was my anchor roller not being large enough. Easy fix..just cost me $200 for a self launching deal. That will have to wait a few weeks tho. Cant think of everything. I will get a swivel for the anchor too. Need to nail in the bow cleat and the anchor tentioner and im done.
    I included a picture of my hour meter install that took about 45 mins to install, $20 on ebay. My rocketlaunchers i built myself. less then $200 for all the parts. Im thinking of adding a few more later on to the bar. I was concerned about the wieght without a middle support. I think it will be fine.
    Now with all this work done. New downriggers, anchor and the rest of the crap i did on my downtime this winter im ready for some fishing!.
    Let the pictures do the rest of the talking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2007
    #1 phishy, Jan 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2007
  2. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

That all looks pretty sweet, Mitch. I know that you bent the danforth and all but, do yo think that anchor is big enough for your boat;) ? Seriously though, does the anchor sit securely, 'cause it looks like it may bang against the pulley or the bow in a big swell. Personally, I think I may have mounted a smaller plate on the dash for the switch. It looks like it is the biggest thing there. That being said, well done. The whole thing looks great, and now you won't have to F--- with the anchor by hand. I have gone without an anchor on many occasions when I knew better, just because I didn't want to pull it up.

3. phishy

phishy Well-Known Member

the plate covered an existing hole. It also accommodated the relay which is built in switch and the circuit breaker is fairly large. The hole that it covers was for a future radio location precut and a horrible location to begin with. You would need to pull the steering wheel to install the radio. If you had to fiddle with the radio while underway you might chop your hands off with the steering wheel.
    Far as the anchor..well i need to definitly get a new roller to fit that beast of an anchor. Something self launching im thinking. The wieght and size..when i drop that bi*ch i know its going to set :) I lost anchor a few times at night last year and really messes my sleep up with the paranoia.

4. ODH33

ODH33 Moderator

nice work Mitch! looks good bro!

5. Joey805

Joey805 Administrator

Nice job Mitch! That came out good!

How many pics did you want to upload at once? 300? LOL

6. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

Good job it came out nice and clean.

7. Casco Bay

Casco Bay New Member

Phishy

I replied to your post @ boc. I am very interested in doing a project like this. Any more photos would help.
    Contact me via email if you wish to share this information with me.
    Thanks

wcurtis2@maine.rr.com

8. wils

wils Well-Known Member

nice installation.

9. WilliamD

WilliamD Well-Known Member

Clean install!

WD

10. Twister

Twister Well-Known Member

I am considering changing out mine to a similar plow type anchor. They run around $150.00 around here.

11. WilliamD

WilliamD Well-Known Member

Guy's look at some of the online ground tackle/anchor test!
    I use the 22# Delta Fast Set Anchor on the bow. I have a 14# Delta Fast Set as a backup bow Anchor.
    The Delta scores very high as an all around plow type Anchor in our local conditions from sand 2 rock. The Bruce or claw type works well in rocky situations but sucks in sand ....like smugglers.

Check it out!

Late,

WD

12. capt lew

capt lew Well-Known Member

lookks good you will enjoy that for sure

13. grantar2

grantar2 Well-Known Member

Actually if you want the most effective anchor you would go with the Bulwagga but it is a pain to store.
    01anchor

01anchor

14. Big Bird

Big Bird New Member

Hi Guys, Just signed up as I have a 2002FF and struggle to get parts and advice way down here in New Zealand. I know this is a really old post, but Phishy, how did the conversion go? have you got enough room for the chain and rope to not "Dog Turd" and cause tangles and jams? Great job by the way.

15. phishy

phishy Well-Known Member

11 years later and still going fine. Yes it does bunch up and its not self launching. Thats more because of how the rode locker is designed and it doesnt coil directly under. Simple enough, someone goes up to the bow to deploy and again for retrieval. Find it still pretty effective and beats pulling up all that by hand.