Trouble casting Avet Reels

Discussion in 'Tackle 101' started by rpcrowe, Aug 21, 2015.

1. rpcrowe

rpcrowe Member

I have been used to using Shimano Calcutta 400 and 700 reels as well as a Newell 332 reel that has been reduced in size to a Penn 99 size. I have not experienced any problems casting anchovies (and certainly not sardines) with these reels. I matched the Calcuttas with 20# or 25# line to an 8-foot Lamiglas Hook-Em 12-25# class rod with mini roller guides and matched the Newell with 25# or 30# line to either a Seeker 870 or a Calstar 270-8.

However, lately, I have been using an Avet MXJ 2-speed MC with 25# test and an Avet JX 2-speed MC with 40# test fishing for medium sized yellowfin tune in the 20-40# range. I use these on 6-foot Fenwick 15-50# class 1.5-3 oz rod and a Triton 6' 20-50# medium action rod while on my son-in-law's private boat.

Hi boat (A Tiara 38-foot) while a large boat, has a relatively small fishing cockpit. It is approximately 7-feet x 10-feet and to complicate matters, some rods in rod holders protrude a ways into the cockpit and interfere with my casting.

I have not had problems with casting from boats with less cramped cockpits even from pangas. I expecially have problems with my back cast. However another fisherman in our party was able to cast the Fenwick and MXJ combo fairly well.

I love fighting a fish using the Avet reels and want to continue using them. However, I could opt to use some of my other rods, such as Calstar GF 800XL reduced to 7-feet and mounted with mini roller guides (Save On Tackle cut down this rod to 7-feet and stated that it is 12-25# class), either of my 870 (old Seeker or old Sabre) rods, my Calstar 270-8 or the Lamiglas.

I think that with any of these rods, I could flip a sardine (with perhaps a 1/2 ounce rubber core) a distance with no big need for a back cast of any effect. I am sure that I could use my Newell or one of my Calcutta reels in combination with these rods.

I am getting old and haven't a lot of years left. I don't really want to buy any new tackle.

What combination would you suggest from the above listing?

2. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't help...i suck at casting everything

3. tpfishnfool

tpfishnfool Well-Known Member

Go star drag for casting. Just my 2 cents.

king mustang likes this.
  4. terrace

terrace Active Member

If backlash is the problem try casting with the lever drag on bait setting

king mustang likes this.
  5. rpcrowe

rpcrowe Member

Quite interesting! It might reduce the distance a bit but, should take care of the backlash. I don't have any problems casing a 7-9 foot rod when I have room for a decent back cast. I will try the bait setting idea tomorrow in my driveway.

Another thing that seems to help when I am casting without room for a backcast - using a slower action (more parabolic) rod. I have a custom wrapped Seeker 870 (I think that's what it is - no name on it but some of the wrapping looks like Seeker) that is quite parabolic and casts better (for me). I also have a Calstar GF900XL which has been cut down to 7-feet and casts like a dream.

I have a Calstar 270-8 that I really like when I have room for back cast but, have trouble when I have little of no room for the back cast.

6. Joey805

Administrator

It just takes alot of practice and training of the thumb to feather that spool correctly.

Avets aren't the easiest thing to cast with.

7. Carnivore

I took mine out to a football field and spent an afternoon getting my JX down. Now I can nail pretty much what ever I want. It just takes time and the ability to pick out a birds nest or two.

If that doesn't help HERE is a link on our tips and tricks page on how to mag your reel to help slow down the spool. Still need to thumb it but it makes it much more forgiving.

8. Corr

Corr Well-Known Member

Casting with conventional reels has been my game since I was 11 years old. Then about 10 years ago I experimented with magging a reel, and found it to make sudden short casts much easier. It does not really improve the distance but neither does it impact negatively on distance either.

I was sold and had to mag all 18 my reels as the method of casting is different and I could not get my brain to easily differentiate between magged and un magged reels. I have never looked back and even a simple static magnet makes casting a lot easier.

An adjustable system is the answer, but a well placed single magnet is also a very acceptable method to tame a overly keen reel.

So as Carnivore says, look in to making the small modification to the reel, it will be well worth your trouble.

9. Mickeyfin1

Mickeyfin1 Member

avet reel

1st thing I would do is try a rod that is best for light bait casting. If results are the same then next is have the spool bearings oiled with TS301 or similar.The oil will improve the free spool and bait casting. This is what I did with the Avet reel
    Go gettum,
    Mick