using automobile Garmin Nuvi 750 as a gps on ocean

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by thefishingguy, Apr 25, 2010.

1. thefishingguy

thefishingguy Member

Does anyone know if our automobile Garmin Nuvi 750 can be used on th ocean. We can get the coordinates plugged in and scroll ahead to see the map and the destination. We just haven't tried it. Do you know if while on the water the gps coordinates will still work? I think it should, but maybe Garmin has the ocean reserved for it's marine units. What do you think?

2. phishy

phishy Well-Known Member

the garmin 478 unit does both..i own one..very pricey..but i like mine. As long as it has an option to enter coordinates yes it can..but u dont have the ability to see ocean topography..think thats worth alot..helps u from running into something.

3. thefishingguy

thefishingguy Member

gps

Thanks a bunch. We are on a budget and a combo unit (fishfinder and GPS) will have to wait. We can plug in the coordinates, we will try it out tomorrow. Plus some of the maps have coordinates on them. And maybe a few members can share some of their locations.
    Rick

4. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

UUMMM you do have someone on board that can navigate by compass and charts too right? If this is your only mode of navigation yikes.

5. SDAnglerNew

SDAnglerNew Active Member

The topography feature is NOT for the fish but for the contours of bottom (primarily the shallow areas)u where one may run aground in a boat. It'll be similar to the contour lines of a marine chart.

6. SDAnglerNew

SDAnglerNew Active Member

The topography feature is NOT for the fish but for the contours of bottom (primarily the shallow areas)u where one may run aground in a boat. It'll be similar to the contour lines of a marine chart.

Getting a marine GPS will be more preferable than repairing a damaged boat hull.

7. phishy

phishy Well-Known Member

do u have a depthfinder on the boat? just as important as a gps...those daym sandbars just always happen to pop up at the worst time..i hit one once..so lucky i didnt get stuck