VAFB Fishing Help!

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater Pier, Jetty & Harbor Report' started by tfergserf, Jun 3, 2015.

1. tfergserf

tfergserf New Member

So some friends and I have been fishing the base beaches for the last six months or so. The perch fishing is great and we slay the perch almost every weekend. I am looking for something with a little more fight. Can anyone give me some tips on where to find halis, rockfish, cabs, cod and what setup we should be using to get them?

I have seen the pocket fishing videos on YouTube, but Purisma is closed and the next negative tide that falls on the weekend isn't until July. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Big-D

Big-D Well-Known Member

in the water, if you cant find fish at VAFB take up nitting

3. tfergserf

tfergserf New Member

Thanks!!!

Thanks Big-D. That was a really inciteful post. A lot of really good information. I appreciate all your help!

4. Big-D

Big-D Well-Known Member

wasn't trying to help

5. Carnivore

Carnivore Moderator

Never fished that area up there. Terry one of the vets we have had on the board for years might have been up that way but I haven't seen him post in some time. Hali's can be taken from the sand no problem. I know some guys uses sardine and anchovy colored repala's that they just bounce off the bottom but it needs to be in a very sandy area. Hali won't sit in the rocks. I never had luck with cabs or rockfish from the surf.

Some people have posted tiny fish they have picked up in the jetty rocks but mostly for any size you need to work deeper water from a boat. Sorry we couldn't be more help.

6. jmoore

jmoore Well-Known Member

Try south base boat house area. Lots of rocky areas to fish. Be careful of the surf that can sweep across the rocks. Be aware of the MPA that goes from Purisima point to Arguello. Plan on donating some tackle in the rocks.