Ventura CA, surf fishing

Discussion in 'West Coast' started by joshthefisherman, Feb 28, 2012.

1. joshthefisherman

joshthefisherman Member

hey guys anyone do some surf fishing around ventura area?? looking for people to fish with when im out there. and what kind of baits/lures you guys use out on the surf? i stick to sand fleas, shrimp,and the gulp baits. anoyne use spoons out there?:cool2:

(-Fishing The Surf-)

2. 805Hooligan

805Hooligan New Member

It's slow

Fishing has been slow here so stay home. We don't need more kooks on the beach

3. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

Your welcome in my neighbor hood any time!! Lots of decent size perch to be had.
    Still waiting for a hali from the surf though. (got three last year!!)
    I use gulp. I have a sand flea trap but I never lug it around, I prefer to be VERY mobile.

4. beacondawg

beacondawg Well-Known Member

JR kim,who do you think you are replying with a comment like that??? Josh alot of members fish there paul and his boys fish alot there.PM him and I bet he will help ya....

5. Torrn

Torrn Well-Known Member

Hey Kim, wrong attitude :moon: You'll find peers who share your non-fishing feelings on an MPA site I'm sure.;)

Josh :
    When the water warms up a bit and the Halibut come in closer Crocodiles work well. Plenty of shore anglers on this site to hook up with. Good luck and make sure to take pics.

6. hiplanesdrifter

hiplanesdrifter Well-Known Member

Ha... Seroiusly??? Last time I checked there was alot of beach in and around Ventucky. Plenty of room for all us kooks.

Ive heard the gulps are the way to go also. Easy,sporty and like carpfisher said,"mobile"

7. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

Really? Do you really want this as your first post? You just might want to take your selfish attitude somewhere else. This guy is just politely asking for fishing buddies and a little help.

8. eberlinger

eberlinger Active Member

I dont post a lot but when I do its usually because of Dos Equis :)

9. JR12

JR12 Well-Known Member

:slap: i think this guy should move to another site this one is freindly and full of info for anybody anytime, anyway try emma wood good perch action now some football size, carolina rig with red gulp worms 3in are better #4 or #6 moskito hook with 4lb flouro 18in leader main line no more then 8lb, if you want to drive somewhat try will rogers state beach lots of perch now good luck buddy iam going sometime for sure will let you know we can hook up and wet a line o.k late:rockon:

10. smidge

smidge Well-Known Member

Camo sand worms are good too. Try the sand crabs if you see them under your feet. We also use big hammers swim baits mostly in 3" on 3/8 lead heads and Lucky Craft hard baits with 110's the most popular. Good Luck and post up.

11. joshthefisherman

joshthefisherman Member

thank you all that gave me advice.. if anyone wants to go soon just email me at joshmoncada@yahoo.com and we can do some surf fishing in ventura

12. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

I like using the 3" motoroil green red flake grub worm on a carolina rig, also orange with black flake....great for barred surf perch, I've fished the Ventura Harbor in channel on high tide with blue and chrome crocodiles with success catching Halibut. Good Luck take pixs and let us know how ya did, don't mind those stupid remarks from 805Hooligan, hes not a regular on our site he's a wanna be.

Brett12345 likes this.
  13. marineslayer

marineslayer Well-Known Member

leopard sharks and batray can always be caught.use whole squid or sardine on some heavy leader(mono/wire)throw it out and let it set!good luck

14. Bmxboy077

Bmxboy077 New Member

I'm usually out fishing Emma Wood every afternoon durring the week leopards and shovels were a blast out there last season!! Haven't seen one in the 2013 season yet tho... :(

15. RPSPP

RPSPP New Member

Being my first post and all. I wanted to know if anyone has caught any perch around VC. I've been out on the surf for 2 1/2 months every day to every other day and nothing. I've thrown LC, Krock, Grubs, Crack and sand crabs nothing. I think it's fished out or something

16. sourcreamnjive

sourcreamnjive Well-Known Member

First how are you holding your mouth? Theres tons of barred surf Perch around VC, SB, areas......tides are a main thing for increased bites incoming and outgoing....grubs in the motoroil green w/red flake have produced more for me on a Carolina Rig.....Silverstrand Bch, Emma Wood Bch, Mugu Rock, Santa Claus Lane, beach in front of Neptunes net is good stay away from the surfers, any stretch of beach between Mugu Rock and Malibu has produced well....if heading Santa Barbara ways Ledbedder Bch, Gaviota and Goleta Bch, Jalama Bch, Guadalupe area is REALLY productive.....my family fishes that area hard with large surf perch....anyways good luck and post pictures!

17. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

Incoming high tide yesterday evening, medium salad, mainly big pieces, easy to avoid,
    light wind.
    Threw carolina rigged MORF, 500 casts, maybe a couple nibbles, not one fish
    Probably gonna be windy this weekend,
    good luck

18. RPSPP

RPSPP New Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "holding your mouth" means. But I'm not a greenhorn by any means. I've been surf fish for a while now (2yrs) in VC like every day to every other day. You can say I'm a regular at it. But this year seems way too odd to be like this. I mean I'm not getting a single nibble for MONTHS. I think the dredging isn't helping also. All I wanted to know was if there was someone that can explain this surf fish season. Thanks

19. Brett12345

Brett12345 New Member

It's mid march 2018 and I've been going after leopard sharks for the past 3 or 4 months. I've tried fishing all around mugu area, oxnard, and carpinteria. I haven't got anything yet. I use a 12 foot pole with a 2 to 3 foot 65lb mono leader and 50lb braided line. I use squid and have had a couple of bits but not much. Am I doing anything wrong, is it the wrong time of year, am I fishing the wrong spots? If you have any advice please reply. Thanks