Ventura Harbor Live Bait pays off!!!!

Discussion in 'Kayak Central' started by FISHHEAD, June 15, 2005.

1. FISHHEAD

FISHHEAD Well-Known Member

[​IMG]LOCATION

Sorry the above pic is foggy but I guess my camera had some condensation on it.

VENTURA HARBOR

DATE/TIME JUNE 15TH 2005 FISHED 7 TILL 1

BAITS MIXED FIN BAIT AND MISC BIG HAMMERS

SETUPS 8 FOOT LOOMIS W/ A CALCUTTA 400 (12 LB PINK ANDE) 7'6" CLARUS W/ A STRADIC 4000 (8 LB GREEN MAXIMA)

BOAT ON MY COBRA KAYAK (NO NAME SORRY)

CATCH 5 CALICO BASS 1 SKATE 1 HALIBUT (33 INCH 11.2 LBS)

Well I left the house around 6 am and headed for Ventura Harbor. Arrived around 7 am and stuggled as usual to unlad the yak:embarassed:. Paddled over for bait and paid for a 1/2 scoop, loaded up and headed for the outer wall. I took a peek around the outer side first and saw about 10 Dogs and figured the bass bite would suck if those guys were around so I headed back to the inside. I threw bait and it was slow at first but it did pick up. I hooked a little guy first that was a fighter and finally pulled him from the kelp and then released him. After that it was still slow so I figured it would be my usual day a calico or to and a long paddle back to the ramp. LOL Well kept throwing bait and actally found a spot that was producing. I was bit in this spot on every cast and fished it until the bait ran out. I think I ended up with five but I did loose a few fish and threw a ton of my 1/2 scoop at the rocks. If I had a little more bait I think I would have caught a few more, since the bite was only getting better as I was running out of bait. I turned out more than happy and out of bait so the paddle back started and so did a halibut quest. I was done fishing (well at least in my head) I noticed the red tide on the inside of the harbor was getting kinda ugly and my bait taik water looked a little weird like it had some blood in it. But I was tired of paddling so I decided to drift back in and trow some hammers(since the wind was blowing the correct direction) .

I turn the corner and figure I have 1 or to more casts before its time to start paddling again. All of a sudden whammmmmmo! I get get hit super hard (on the 8 lb rig) peeling drag and some thumps. In the past when I have foul hooked a batray ray with this rig I have fet similar thumps but it always turned out to be the wings flapping against the line well I guess I ll never know what this one was cause I broke him off:crying: He got the line to go around a rock and snappppo! Well thats the way it goes. I decided to head back to the bait dock and get a few more fins. I really wanted to see if I could get this fish I was on a quest. Well I baited up and headed back to the lucky (wait maybe unlucky) well any way back to the spot.

Made about 5 or 6 drifts and had 0 bites not even a kelp bomb...LOL. So I set up for one last drift and I casted right into the spot( about 5 feet of water ) the water boils and its on like donkey kong. Line peeling off and it feels like the same fish but who knows??? I think it was. Anyways the fight was on and it was winning as the previous memory is running through my head telling me (YOUR GOING TO LOOSE IT AGAIN STUPID!) I fought this fish for about a full minute even though it was only 20 yards away from me. He had my yak all turned around and I started gaining some ground. It came to deep color and I grabbed the gaff, lifted the tip and them stuck it! It was w/o a question legal. I did measure and weight the fish at the bait dock (they even took a pic, New owner, Very nice) 33 inches and 11.2 oz. I think the biggest calico would have weighed it over 6 lbs. It was 22 inches but did release him after a nice pic. All fish released other than the flatty.

here is a few pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FISHn8R

FISHn8R Well-Known Member

Nice report and great fish!

3. Soggyshoe

Soggyshoe Well-Known Member

Nice work dude! That's awesome...I am really thinkin about
    gettin myself a yak. It just looks too fun! Congrats on the come-
    ups! Nice pics too!!!

4. FISHHEAD

Get some yaks guys!!!!!!!!!!

5. FISHHEAD

I forgot to say that thats a right hander by the way!

6. Skunkmaster

Skunkmaster Well-Known Member

deeeyam, looks like a great day matt. thanks for the report!!!

7. Carnivore

8. Flipper

no f'ing way!!! ok, thats it... I'm getting a yak!

nice job Matty! you' da' man!:D

9. 2 Amigos

2 Amigos Well-Known Member

Damn these Yaks are getting more popular! I mean they are all over the place and they KILL FISH!!! From Calico Bass to Striped Marlin! Nice catch Matt!

-Tony

10. Joey805

Administrator

Sweet job Matt! Thats a great flatty from the harbor for sure!

11. Anotherbite

Anotherbite Well-Known Member

Great Report and pics Matt! Congrats on that big flattie! What an awesome day! I might think about a yak if I lose enough weight to squeeze my fat arse into one!

12. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Well-Known Member

Rock on matt! Way to get'em! Glad you are having a blast and catching fish with the new yak.

Ya know, the yak company should be paying you, cause you have a whole bunch of guys all of a sudden considering getting yaks! LOL!

13. YakSailor

YakSailor Well-Known Member

Fishhead,

Excellent report! You must've be stoked to see the size of that beast appear as you brought it closer to the surface. Did you catch it in the sandy area near the south jetty? I've caught them on hammers there, and on a P-line squid lures in the main channel on the North side. The cali's look awsome -they are a blast to hook.

Good news about the new bait-dock owner. Does this mean that a half scoop costs less than $20 now? I hope so. The bait dock at CIH charges $5 for a 'yak scoop.

-John

14. ODH33

great report Matt! way to slay them fish. sounds like a lot of fun on a yak! i need one

15. BlackLion

BlackLion Well-Known Member

Matt,

All right, you've got me hooked!! I need you to help me get setup for this live bait thing! Way to go on all the great catches (especially the halibut). I can't wait to get into one like that. Congratulations man, you are truly on fire with this yak fishing!

Marvin

16. crawford23

crawford23 Well-Known Member

Awesome...the persistance paid off for ya Matt....That's a beautiful flattie there and I'm sure that just hooked you on the yak fishing as well.

17. FISHHEAD

Im hooked on the yak thing for sure! I love it! No prob Marvin. I can send you some photos of the tank (it is super easy)

all you need is

1. 5 gal bucket (lid too) Cut the center out with a set of tin snips

2. a walmart 2 amp bilge pump

3. some hose

4. battery

5. a 90 degree pvc bulkhead fitting ( to make the water go in a circle)

6. and some electrical connectors of choice