Viva El Nino

Discussion in 'West Coast - Saltwater In-Shore Reports' started by jmoore, Aug 27, 2015.

1. jmoore

jmoore Well-Known Member

Got out with a couple of my good fishing partners ( Matt and Mark) last week and got into some awesome el nino style fishing. Got to the grounds at aprox 0600 and metered some squid. Started making a few pieces but nothing to hot and heavy. Water was clean blue and about 66F. About 30 min. into making bait a rig with a jig goes off. Fish on and its pulling hard. Told my buddy that I have gaffed some yellow tail for others so far this year but had never landed a local yellow myself. The fight went on with my gaining line and then the fish taking line. After a while it became obvious it wasn't a biscuit and when we got color sure enough my first local yellow.:) The next three hours we got a few singles and two doubles. Just fantastic local action. On one of the doubles I had grabbed a rod that belongs to my buddy Matt and the fish crosses the back of the boat in a hurry. There I am scrambling to get over the engine box and to the other side of the boat with my arms outstretched when the fish makes a surge and plunk! There goes my friends seeker rod with an Penn 10KG two speed loaded with braid to the bottom!:sad: Well there I am feeling like an idot and almost unable to look at Matt when our other friend Mark says maybe we can snag it with one of the other rigs still off the back of the boat. We look at him, Matt with little hope of recovering the lost tackle and me my pride and said well maybe. There I am sulking and my friend Matt begins reeling in one of the other rigs. Soon up comes a tangled mess of line and low and behold in it is the braid from the rig I managed to throw over board. We quickly get a hold of the braid and cut out the other rig from the mess. I start pulling on the line and I can feel the fish on the end.:) Matt put some gloves on and started hand lining the fish in piling the line up on the floor. Soon we had the fish on board now we hope the tackle. I started pulling on the other end attached to the rod and nothing!:sad: The line is not completely slack but I can't feel the rod. I said the drag must have backed off as it left the boat. I asked did you tie a knot on the line at the spool? Matt said yes and I said I hope its good. Matt said he wanted a new color braid any way so away I pulled and pulled and pulled with more and more line piling up on the floor. After what seamed like enough line to reach back to the launch ramp I feel tension on the end of the line. A couple of bounces on the bottom and now I can tell the rod is straight down. 85 ft to goes and up comes the rod.;) Great day on the water minus giving my friends rig a salt water bath. Ended with 6 yellows and two biscuits to boot. Biggest yellow was 46 in. fork length. Didn't have a scale.

Anyone know where I can get a friends reel serviced?

Attached Files:

2. wjgrossini

wjgrossini New Member

Matt never told me this part of the story?

3. Rip

Rip Well-Known Member

Saw you guys out there we were in the western 14.

4. MikeeDaGuy

MikeeDaGuy Well-Known Member

Great Pics and awesome story to go with them, at least you ended up on top!
    Thanks for sharing!

5. Yakman

Yakman Well-Known Member

WOW nice brute forkies John, great report and pics, glad you had a great time! LOL

6. HOOCHIE-P

HOOCHIE-P Well-Known Member

great season John!! great story too...those are quality yellers

7. Ojos_raros

Ojos_raros Well-Known Member

great report but how bout a little story next time??

VIVA el nino!!

8. benrd81

benrd81 Well-Known Member

Nice job John. For reference caught a 52inch 42lber earlier this season. If you want I service all my own reels. Bring it by and I can clean it out. Not much left to do once you have it apart as far as you did.

9. spartan44

spartan44 Well-Known Member

10. jcinsb

jcinsb Well-Known Member

Nice! BTW I just saw a sign at Hook, Line & Sinker in Santa Barbara (Capt. Bacon's tackle shop) that they're servicing reels now.

11. catchofthemonth

Congrats on the slug this year has been one for the record books!:beerbang: