what reel gear ratio for calico fishing?

Discussion in 'Tackle 101' started by svt, June 7, 2013.

1. svt

svt Member

Hey wad up guys, I just needed some help with my calico rod and reel setup. The setup is a:

rod-Phoenix heavy fast action 7ft 6in line weight 12-35lb
    reel-daiwa 300

The problem is that i don't now what gear ration daiwa 300 reel to get.The options are 7.1:1, 6.3:1, and 5.1:1.Need some input to decide on what ration daiwa to get for calico fishing.

Ps:gonna run a 30lb braided line with 15lb mono topshot.

2. Carnivore

Personally I would go 6.3 as it is middle of the road and will afford for other species fishing. If it were a dedicated reel I would do 7 just to get the line in faster when the lure is out of the sweet spot. Presentation is set by you and since calis are small no need for 5 to 1 to horse them in. That is my pennys on the matter. Good luck.

3. svt

svt Member

thanks Carnivore.I think im gonna go with the 6.3.1 gear ratio reel for throwing plastics at the calis.

4. Dramamine

Dramamine Active Member

Personally I'd go for the 7:1 and make it a cod rod. Once you're up the 6 + ratio I see no difference in capability between a 7 and 6. Get a 7 and keep your hook in the water a bit longer...

5. Carnivore

7 to 1 is a faster retrieve with less power to pull on. 6 to 1 can get tough to get lingcod of any size up as you have less cranking power then like a 3 to 1. Problem is 3 to 1 at 300 feet takes all day to pull up and don't get be started on my old penn 1.5 to 1..Those were a night mare past 60 feet deep lol.

6. Dramamine

Dramamine Active Member

I caught a 9lb ling 2 months ago on my Fathom 25, it's 6 to 1. I trolled it with 40lb mono and killed 25lb Albacore a month ago. Plenty of cranking power....guess it also depends on the reel. :)

7. Carnivore

It is the reel but more to the point the reels drag system. Put it this way. A 3 to 1 reel is like starting from a stop in 2nd gear but only having second gear in the car. plenty of pulling power but not a lot of top speed. A 6 to 1 reel is like starting in 4th gear and only having 4th. The clutch will chatter when you start out but if you can get the car going then you can reach top speed.

A fathom 25 is more suited for bottom fishing with a 25 pound drag system. That is over kill for calico and much harder to cast then say a Calcutta 100 or 200 which is much better for calico but worthless as a bottom rig. In addition 40# mono isn't going to cast that far with only a 1oz lead head and swimbait on the line.

My "swimbait" rig is a Calcutta 400b on a 8 foot loomis rod with 15 pound mono. My reasoning is though it is a little big for calico it still works well but I can switch it to bounce baits off the bottom and use it for Halibut or throw on a steel leader and take cuda. That is the max range for that real and it serves multiple rolls with out getting another 300 dollar set up.

8. Dramamine

Dramamine Active Member

I've honestly never casted a Calcutta, but if it cast better than a fathom 25 it must be damn good because you can cast Fathoms way the heck out there.

9. wahging

wahging New Member

calico out fit

All depends where you're fishing...your outfit with 30lb spectra and 15lb leader is fine for open water but if your fishing the kelps use a lower gear ratio with 50-80lb spectra and 30-40lb floro to drag them out of the kelp. I use a 20-50lb rated 8ft rod with a Abu Garcia 50 Toro winch with 50lb spectra and 5ft of 40lb floro to drag those calicos out!.

10. RodJerker

RodJerker Well-Known Member

I'm not a pro calico fishermen, but I agree with Wahging. Lightest I'll go is 20# topshot, and that is only if I notice other people are getting bit because of light line, or if I'm fishing bait, and it happens to be smaller anchovies

11. KaiMan

KaiMan Well-Known Member

5:1 plenty of fast for me! Wind faster!