whats legal to catch?

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by pete j, Jan 2, 2015.

1. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

Thinking about taking the boat out sunday and I know rock cod and sheaphead are illlegal to catch right now but whats legal to catch? and whats a good thing to target in the cold?. Thanks for any and all help cause dont want to be getting fined for having the wrong fish out on the ocean.

2. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

I don't think catching is an issue, it's specific targeting and keeping that is.

3. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to be mean or rude, but you really need to get a 2015 California Sportfishing Regulations booklet and read it and understand it. The specific rules change often, sometimes in mid-season, and often one location has different rules than another. Any place that sells fishing licenses should have the booklet on hand for free. I keep a current issue in the boat and another copy at home. It is also accessable online here https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=77722&inline=true.

4. Carnivore

Agree with Woodman here. I doubt anyone would give you bad info but a mistake will cost you not the person replying. That said ground fishing is closed so Rock fish, ling, whitefish etc are all closed. Halibut, calico, pelagics, sharks, skates etc are open.

5. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

I have the rule book and I do understand it. I have it on the boat and its part of the bathroom reading material. Id never think anybody on here could be mean Im just trying to strike up a conversation and make sure I dint miss anything. That being said when we go out tomorrow we will be targeting GARIBALDI & GIANT SEA BASS:)

6. Carnivore

Na Garibaldi are so small, aim for cow cod since they are near the giant sea bass anyway.

7. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

8. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

thanks

Well took the boat out yesturday and caught alot of macks and small bass and my wife hooked into what we thought was a nice size bass, Went to get the rule book out of the glove box and very much to my suprise its not there so I Put the fish in the bait tank and I had noticed a boat out a little further. You can see the tiny spec by my old ladys elbow, so we go out to see if they might know what kind of fish it was and low and behold its a fellow GBer Its the Carpfisher:) who pretty much saved the day by telling me to put the fish back in the water, We chat for a few and we were back out to fishing. About an hour later a inflateable rib comes rippin up to us and its the game wardens checking for fishing lics and checking fish. All i can say is THANK YOU Carpfisher if it wasnt for you we would have kept the fish and Id be looking at a big fine today. So again Thanks alot and nice to meet you:beerbang: Its not the rule book I needed its a book with a pick of every kind of fish so I can know what I have

Attached Files:

#8 pete j, Jan 5, 2015 at 7:25 AM
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  9. jmoore

jmoore Well-Known Member

Hey Pete, Glad you guys had a nice day of fishing and did not make a mistake that would have cost some Bucks! Kudos Paul. Ca DFG takes things seriously. I know that fish ID can be tricky especially on rock fish. This time of the year it's easier to ID the fish you can keep than it is the ones you can't. The Ca DFG marine web page has a map with the different management area regulations and are updated as the regs change. They also have links to fish ID pics and info. There is a lot to keep track of but its the responsibility of the angler to know and thats how it goes down in court when you get a citation. Glad you got out when most of us are sitting on the beach.:)

10. Carpfisher

Two I'd recommend…glad to help, sorry I couldn't talk much.--we were on a mission…
    C and R, S&R.

Attached Files:

11. pete j

pete j Well-Known Member

Thanks John & Paul. Fishin was are mission too now the book search is on. I think it was way cool just to meet a GBer out on the water and there was no reason to stay and chat when the bite was great.

12. Joey805

Administrator

Looks like you can post pictures ok now right? :)

13. Carpfisher

That is right and so was my wife - size matters, she's says don't be bringing home no little fishees,….

Setting on my camera was set to ginormous, but can't figure out how to reduce and post the other pics, so until next session...