When to replace the epoxy on guides

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by dballisloose, Oct 19, 2010.

1. dballisloose

dballisloose Member

About 15 years ago, as a teenager, I built a couple nice saltwater rods for myself. Getting back into fishing, I pulled them out this weekend and see that the epoxy around the feet of the guides has cracked a little, probably due to time and use as the rods were bent. When is the right time to replace the epoxy and/or can more just be added over the top without having to replace what's there?

2. mogambosquid

mogambosquid Well-Known Member

You can put a thin coat over the top no problem. I would definitely prep/clean the old epoxy by going over the old epoxy with a green scotchbrite pad or 400+ grit wet sand paper, and lots of water to break the gloss a bit so you get a good bond with the new coat. After the scotchbrite treatment, wipe the wraps down with some acetone or 100% ethanol, let dry and recoat.

3. Top Shot

Top Shot Gold Coast Lady Anglers

Greg gave you some great advice....I would prep the old and apply a new coat also.

4. bowhunter29

bowhunter29 Active Member

One bit of advice, never clean with acetone or alcohol as your last step. It should be your first step followed by sanding or using a scotchbrite pad. Then, use a soft-bristled brush to wipe off the dust. Finally, recoat your wraps. If you use a solvent on your rod right before you epoxy over it, you can get some wicked fisheyes if you aren't very carefull!

jeremy

5. Flipper

Great advice guys.. and yes, like bowhunter said, use the alcohol first. Clean good around all areas, including the lower end of the guide feet. Then lite-sand and brush dry. A can of dust-off for cleaning computers/keyboards will work good too for getting the sanding dust off afterword.

Be sure not to mix your guide coat (flex-coat) too hot or to big a batch... and do not heat, or it will crack in the same way the first time you bend the rod.

6. Master Chief

Master Chief Active Member

I personally have Flex-Coat and Diamond II, If I were doing a rework like this I would definately go with the D2 epoxy. It sets up and is more durable than the flexcoat (at least in my opinion)