Where to find 20lb+ fish?

Discussion in 'West Coast' started by Chasin_Bendo, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Chasin_Bendo

Chasin_Bendo Member

After getting nothing more than bonito on my last 3 trips between Pt Conception and Goleta, I am trying to find out how to get on to real fish. Called down to a 6 pack in SD and he said its mainly rat YT they are getting and small tuna.

I want to go anywhere between SB and SD to get a 20lb fish, any species, I have a beach launch 12" dingy otherwise I will hop on a 6 pack with my dad and brothers.

Any advice?

2. Carnivore

SD 6 pack is your best bet but if you can find where the 20lbs fish are on an on call basis, you have us all beat.

3. miller_time

miller_time Well-Known Member

The 3/4 day boats out of ventura and channel islands are catching yellowtail on a daily basis and have been for a while now. There is a chance at a nice fish available now.

4. Chasin_Bendo

Chasin_Bendo Member

I got spoiled because everything that I saw come out of the water for a week last month was 20+.

Ill probably try something out of Ventura or CI.

5. Joey805

Administrator

Go fish Anacapa and Santa Cruz island for yellows, or also the oil rigs up in SB are producing as well. Also good marlin fishing behind the islands too.

#5 Joey805, Sep 30, 2015 at 1:49 PM
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  6. MikeeDaGuy

MikeeDaGuy Well-Known Member

its a crap shoot brother thats why its called fishing not catching. By the sound of things you been blessed and catching. . . mark that as a good season so far!

7. Chasin_Bendo

Chasin_Bendo Member

Yeah I didnt mean to sound entitled or spoiled. Just trying to find where my odds are the highest for finding the fish again after getting skunked the last 3 times locally.

Thanks for the replies.

8. Rip

Rip Well-Known Member

Well you could try for a hammerhead if you cut up some of those bonita. Not sure how they taste though.

9. Chasin_Bendo

Chasin_Bendo Member

Rip you been getting anymore up there where the squid nest was?

10. Rip

Rip Well-Known Member

Still need to get my beach wheels replaced. Got all bent up when that wave took me out last month.

11. Andrey

Andrey Well-Known Member

Like Joey said, good size Yellowtail right in your back yard! Make macks outside the harbor, fish with the fleet within a few miles of harbor. I got a couple three weeks back now (on the Coral Sea) and have friends that have gotten a few the last couple of weeks. Supposedly the bite has died down though....

12. Chasin_Bendo

Chasin_Bendo Member

Good stuff guess I'll try 1mile. Each time I go and get skunked I always blame the spot even if it was wfo the day before.