Where to go for Rockfish opener?

Discussion in 'The Yak Shack' started by largecozz, Feb 28, 2012.

1. largecozz

largecozz Active Member

Got a kayak recently and am looking forward to taking out on the 3rd for some fishing with my 11 year old. The only problem is...I have no clue about where to go.

Looking for a location that easy good for an easy put-in, a short paddle and a decent chance of success. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Looking for somewhere between Malibu and Carpenteria.

Thanks!

2. svt

svt Member

you should try paradise cove.its like 5 minutes past zuma beach. Theres also a resturan to eat at and a little pier. Theres little to now waves and plenty scenery to look at while fishing.

3. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

I think paradise Cove is now closed to fishing. I am not positive on this though...I can't keep up on all the closures.

I used to like the beach at the bottom of the stairs at Deer Creek Road, about a mile north of Ventura/L.A. county line. Also try the breakwall at Channel Islands or Ventura.

4. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member

Carpinteria Beach, off Ash, is the closest place to launch for Carp Reef.
    Santa Claus lane good/easy launch, but have to carry yak over RR tracks.
    Bad news is it's a bit of a paddle to get on any structure or reef, check the charts. And the tides because it'll break on the reef. The fish are wayyy on the outside where the reef drops off, and it's out there. Not sure if I'd bring my 11 year old that far out there.
    I've caught rockfish on the outside of ventura breakwall though like Woodman says.
    Good luck be safe and let's see some pics of your tandem kayak fishing setup !!

5. "KNOT HOME"

"KNOT HOME" Well-Known Member

Did anybody notice the 1st post was almost a year old???

6. J Woodman

J Woodman Well-Known Member

7. Carpfisher

Carpfisher Well-Known Member